...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby lfhoward » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:03 pm

Wow, such gorgeous country!! Thanks for sharing, Tony.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:31 pm

Wow, such gorgeous country!! Thanks for sharing, Tony.

:thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Final weight of your teardrop?

Postby Bretster » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:18 pm

Hi Tony,
I am almost finished building a TD based on your book. Quite a few changes but liked the profile so roughly matched it. I did some things that will add weight, and some things that will reduce weight, compared to your build. Just wondering if you ever weighed yours?

Your guide has been very useful and definitely saved me time, so thanks for doing the work to get it published!

Bret
Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Re: Final weight of your teardrop?

Postby Hubert » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 pm

Bretster wrote:Hi Tony,
I am almost finished building a TD based on your book. Quite a few changes but liked the profile so roughly matched it. I did some things that will add weight, and some things that will reduce weight, compared to your build. Just wondering if you ever weighed yours?

Your guide has been very useful and definitely saved me time, so thanks for doing the work to get it published!

Bret

On page 25, the weight is listed as 1,325 lb. Have you weighed yours yet? I am planning to start a similar build at the end of the year and am a bit nervous about the weight.
Hubert
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bretster » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:36 pm

No, I haven’t weighed mine yet. I hope to do so within a couple of weeks though, when I get it all together. I am thinking it won’t be 1325 pounds, at least not dry weight. I am hoping for something around 1100 pounds, but I don’t really have a basis for that figure. I have really tried to keep it light. If I remember this string I’ll post the weight when I figure it out.

Bret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:03 pm

Thanks for saying that. I found it a beast of a project and feedback like that is what makes it worthwhile. I'm just back from a 16 day DIY Alaska float/fishing trip and thus the late reply.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:43 am

Tony,

Love your TD..!! I saw in another post that you showed a galley tent off the rear. I didn't see any mention of it on what was used. Can you tell me how it was constructed, was it bought ready made or..? It appears to be a ready made sun shelter, if so can you provide a link to where it can be purchased.. Is there an access panel for entering it when setup or do you just enter along the side that fits against the TD wall..? I love the simplicity of it and would love to find something similar to use for those rainy mornings at meal time..

Thanks
Helmuth
Attachments
Galley Tent.JPG
Galley Tent.JPG (150.58 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:47 am

I saw in another post that you showed a galley tent off the rear.

Kelty called it the Tailgater. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore. I've tried reaching out to them because they are missing a market. A purpose-built galley tent would be a big hit in the teardrop world.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re:

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 pm

cdnred wrote:Tony,

Love your TD..!! I saw in another post that you showed a galley tent off the rear. I didn't see any mention of it on what was used. Can you tell me how it was constructed, was it bought ready made or..? It appears to be a ready made sun shelter, if so can you provide a link to where it can be purchased.. Is there an access panel for entering it when setup or do you just enter along the side that fits against the TD wall..? I love the simplicity of it and would love to find something similar to use for those rainy mornings at meal time..

Thanks
Helmuth

Shelly and I like it too. When we first saw Tony's pictures I thought the pole arrangement looks essentially identical to our Kelty 4 man tent. Just needs a slight rearrangement of the fabric. We even talked about buying some tent fabric and Shelly trying to make one. But since it hasn't happened (yet) I can't comment further, but just throw the idea out there in case anyone want to pursue it.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:48 am

Too bad it's no longer made, ideal for a nice protective rear awning for the hatch area. I did a search and found that there were lots of similar designs sold in England and Europe but shipping and currency conversion would be the killer. I did find a nice awning on Amazon that could be the answer. Converts from a bug shield to a rain fly to keep the rain off while in use. Price is very reasonable also with free shipping included..

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Toad-compat ... ve&sr=1-14
Attachments
Tail1.JPG
Tail1.JPG (136.83 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Tail2.JPG
Tail2.JPG (70.22 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:30 am

I did find a nice awning...

There's a Youtube video or two on that awning. It may work.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bretster » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:21 pm

This is an update to a previous post where I inquired as to the weight of Tony’s TD. I finally finished my teardrop which used his book as a guideline but with a fair number of modifications to keep the weight down. For example I used an aluminum frame & a very basic galley. I just weighed it using the bathroom scale and lever method. The weight includes a stove and battery but little else.

To my surprise it came out as 930 pounds. I guessed at 1100. Does anyone know how accurate the method is? I very carefully measured distances and did the calculations so if the method is inherently accurate so should be my results. I’ll try to post some pics one of these days.

Bret

Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hubert » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:47 pm

Bretster wrote:This is an update to a previous post where I inquired as to the weight of Tony’s TD. I finally finished my teardrop which used his book as a guideline but with a fair number of modifications to keep the weight down. For example I used an aluminum frame & a very basic galley. I just weighed it using the bathroom scale and lever method. The weight includes a stove and battery but little else.

To my surprise it came out as 930 pounds. I guessed at 1100. Does anyone know how accurate the method is? I very carefully measured distances and did the calculations so if the method is inherently accurate so should be my results. I’ll try to post some pics one of these days.

Bret

Thank you for posting your results. That is really light. I would like to see some pictures.
Hubert
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:49 pm

I think the bathroom scale method can be reasonably accurate. I reckon, in magnitudinal order, the biggest things that could throw things off are:
1) The accuracy of the scale itself (which will typically be best at mid range).
2) How well the pivot points, or fulcrum, were configured (e.g. a point or line of contact would be better than teetering an the flat end of a block or board).
3) How well the reference points and lever arms were kept level and/or parallel to the ground (although given the typical distances and relatively flat nature if this construct, I wouldn't expect much error here.)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Tyler Walters » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:19 pm

Tony:

I purchased your book a while ago but life has got in the way of starting on the project. As suggested in your book, I've been trying to compile a comprehensive materials list. With as many people who have gone through the same process, I wonder if you know of one out there that already exists.

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited to get rolling on it!

:)
Tyler Walters
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals