...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby bdosborn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks, I found it on Amazon and saved it to my trailer wish list. I jackknifed the truck too far and punched a hole in mine. :x

Tongue Box

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:16 pm

bdosborn wrote:Thanks, I found it on Amazon and saved it to my trailer wish list. I jackknifed the truck too far and punched a hole in mine. :x

Tongue Box

Bruce

:thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby campbellinaz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:55 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:
campbellinaz wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:
campbellinaz wrote:Enjoying following your build Tony! I’m currently in the midst of a build and pricing out sheet aluminum in the Phoenix area is crazy expensive! I’m in need of 5x10 sheets which I’m told are only available in .063 and I’m seeing prices just shy of $300/sheet . So I’m looking at “liners” now as they are much less expensive. Although glass/epoxy is far more time consuming it can’t be as expensive as 3-4 sheets at $300 a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t go to IMS in PHX, I found a place and got .040 5X10 I think was $60 a sheet. Can’t remember the name right now. It was west of downtown.

Todd

Todd, I’m really interested if your able to figure out where you got the aluminum. I’m afraid the tariff saga has changed buying aluminum forever.

I bought from

Coast Aluminum and Architectural
4455 W MAgnolia St
Phoenix, AZ 85043
602-278-5052

They mostly deal with truck load orders but didn't seem to mind my small order.

Another place to check is Davis Scrap just north of Sky Harbor. Some times they will have thin gauge aluminum sheets but mostly 16 gauge and up. Still a fun place to check out. The other week I was looking around in the yard and there was about 10 pieces of 20X20X12 blocks of aluminum. :?

Todd

Thanks for the info Todd!

campbellinaz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ricky herbold » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Can you please explain how you did that with tissue paper

tony.latham wrote:Image

The devil is in the details. :frightened:

Tony

p.s. that's done with tissue paper
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Get your final design printed on regular paper and then tape the tissue paper over it. I use just enough tissue to cover the print plus room for tape. Stick it back in the printer and push the button.

Wet the spot out with the same varnish you used on the wood, set it in place making sure it's level and then saturate the tissue paper.

The challenge is finding the right tissue paper. The first stuff I tired wrinkled when wetted out. I can't give you a brand since I found this stuff in with our gift-wrap papers. I suggest you finish a piece of scrap plywood with your varnish and then test your printed tissue paper on it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ricky herbold » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:34 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Get your final design printed on regular paper and then tape the tissue paper over it. I use just enough tissue to cover the print plus room for tape. Stick it back in the printer and push the button.

Wet the spot out with the same varnish you used on the wood, set it in place making sure it's level and then saturate the tissue paper.

The challenge is finding the right tissue paper. The first stuff I tired wrinkled when wetted out. I can't give you a brand since I found this stuff in with our gift-wrap papers. I suggest you finish a piece of scrap plywood with your varnish and then test your printed tissue paper on it.

Tony

That is awesome. I have some experimenting to do. Thanks!!
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I got the personalized plate on her.

:shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:29 pm

That is cool!
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby campbellinaz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:
campbellinaz wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:
campbellinaz wrote:Enjoying following your build Tony! I’m currently in the midst of a build and pricing out sheet aluminum in the Phoenix area is crazy expensive! I’m in need of 5x10 sheets which I’m told are only available in .063 and I’m seeing prices just shy of $300/sheet . So I’m looking at “liners” now as they are much less expensive. Although glass/epoxy is far more time consuming it can’t be as expensive as 3-4 sheets at $300 a copy.

Don’t go to IMS in PHX, I found a place and got .040 5X10 I think was $60 a sheet. Can’t remember the name right now. It was west of downtown.

Todd

Todd, I’m really interested if your able to figure out where you got the aluminum. I’m afraid the tariff saga has changed buying aluminum forever.

I bought from

Coast Aluminum and Architectural
4455 W MAgnolia St
Phoenix, AZ 85043
602-278-5052

They mostly deal with truck load orders but didn't seem to mind my small order.

Another place to check is Davis Scrap just north of Sky Harbor. Some times they will have thin gauge aluminum sheets but mostly 16 gauge and up. Still a fun place to check out. The other week I was looking around in the yard and there was about 10 pieces of 20X20X12 blocks of aluminum. :?

Todd
Thanks Todd!

campbellinaz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 pm

Tony, what height did you end up making your platform dolly? You said 19", but were thinking of cutting it down. How much?
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:33 pm

Tony, what height did you end up making your platform dolly? You said 19", but were thinking of cutting it down.

Steve:

In the end, I left it that high. It did seem a bit tall when I was working on the roof. Since my chassis was 18", that height made it relatively easy to slide it on with pipe rollers.

I think it's sixes. How's that for counsel? :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Homebrewer25 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks, Tony.

My TTT will not be a traditional teardrop, but a 5x5x11 foamie with a Benroy type front and a square back. My cold weather workspace is the basement, which has a set of french doors facing the driveway. I'll do phase 1 there (foam shell, canvassing, painting) and then move it to my warm weather workspace in the barn for all the cabinet/finish work. My woodshop is in the barn, which is 300' away from the house, so moving it out there to do the interior will save me a lot of steps.

My trailer is a modified 5x8 NT, extended to 5x11 with a Dexter Torflex axle and 14" wheels replacing the stock axle and wheels.
Since this pic I have added 2 more jacks on the front corners and several cross members. I'll remove the A frame tongue and the axle, build a 5x9 platform of 2x6s (leaving clearance for the jacks on each end) and set the frame on it for the build. When ready I can move it out on pipes, raise it up on the jacks, and add the axle and A frame tongue back to the trailer. Then I can move it out to my barn for phase 2 (cabinets, galley, finish work).
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:47 am

..not be a traditional teardrop, but a 5x5x11 foamie....

I'd definitely build it on a shorter base then.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:37 pm

If you scroll back to my first entry with this post, I wrote:

So why #4?

Just because... (that's my story for now and I'm sticking to it). I'll expand on that tale down the road but it's not because we need a new teardrop and it's not because I'm going into the biz.

Mystery unveiled:

Some of you know I'm a bit of a writer. Eighteen months ago I embarked on a teardrop builder's handbook. It's not all-encompassing so don't expect a chapter on foamies. I only wrote about what I know.

I think struggling is part of everyone's first build. I hope this takes some of the angst out of creating one of these remarkable campers.

192 pages, 221 photos and 31 pencil biting chapters.

Available deep in the Amazon Jungle, of course:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XVH9XQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was a challenge to keep the price down, but I'm pleased.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm

tony.latham wrote:If you scroll back to my first entry with this post, I wrote:

So why #4?

Just because... (that's my story for now and I'm sticking to it). I'll expand on that tale down the road but it's not because we need a new teardrop and it's not because I'm going into the biz.

Mystery unveiled:
It was a challenge to keep the price down, but I'm pleased.

:beer:

Tony

Just ordered. May be a little late for our build, but we'll enjoy the read!

:beer: :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals