Budget College Student Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Budget College Student Build

Postby mattiker » Fri May 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Have my plans done for the most part, and I picked up a donor trailer. Base is a 4x8 harbor freight trailer that I picked up for $150, it needs some work (previous owner busted the axle and had replaced it with a homemade one (might have to replace this, its kind of sketchy.) Design is taking inspiration from grasshopper trailers and the sawtooth xl build on these forums, although mine is going to be a bit smaller, with the goal of each wall being a single sheet of plywood. Got a good deal on some TBII, and will be going the canvas PMF route. Still deliberating on the wall construction, but I'm leaning towards just using 1/2 inch birch plywood. Secondary would be frame and foam, but the grasshopper design is more suited for plywood I think.

First step is to rehabilitate the trailer, getting some of the surface rust off and painting over the frame. Frame itself is good, only worried about the axle, if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to ideas.

Here is my initial design: https://imgur.com/a/BQlAXFV Likely to change as time goes on.

Wish me luck :beer:
mattiker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Budget College Student Build

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 17, 2019 2:01 pm

but I'm leaning towards just using 1/2 inch birch plywood.

Tread lightly if it's cabinet grade birch. The glue may not be waterproof. Baltic, of course, is great but only comes in 5 x 5 sheets. If I were on a tight budget and build 8-foot long, I'd lean towards 1/2" AC (fir) plywood. That might save a wad of money.

Teardrop doors should be right where your hips lay. Go sit on your bed and then lay down. Sit back up (and you'll be right where you started from). That's where the door needs to be placed. And set the bottom of the door about half-way into the mattress so you'll be sitting on it and not the door stop.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mattiker » Fri May 17, 2019 2:11 pm

I'll look into seeing if I can find fir plywood, that sounds like it might work and a quick online look shows that it's much cheaper. That's a good note on the door as well, I might make the window fit into the door and move the door to fit about in the middle. Great points, thank you Tony!

I think I might also put a slight slope in the flat section of roof to help with drainage
mattiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Any lumber yard will have AC plywood. When I say yard, I’m not talking box store.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri May 17, 2019 3:39 pm

mattiker wrote:I'll look into seeing if I can find fir plywood, that sounds like it might work and a quick online look shows that it's much cheaper. That's a good note on the door as well, I might make the window fit into the door and move the door to fit about in the middle. Great points, thank you Tony!

I think I might also put a slight slope in the flat section of roof to help with drainage

Best if you can inspect each sheet for quality. I bought a whole bunch of 1/4" AC ply from a lumber yard and was disappointed with the voids, knot holes, etc.

Friend of mine was a general contractor and knew the previous owner of the yard. That owner got out of the business because of the decline in quality from his suppliers over the years. He was tired hearing from his customers.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby mattiker » Fri May 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Noted, there are a few lumber yards near me, I'll check them out. Hadn't had much luck with wood from the box stores anyhow.
mattiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Fri May 17, 2019 7:56 pm

tony.latham wrote:Any lumber yard will have AC plywood. When I say yard, I’m not talking box store.

T

:thumbsup: +1
Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals