The Arboreous Weekender

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Arboreous Weekender

Postby fishboat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm

kristaology wrote:
Jeremiah worked on the sliding mechanism for the galley cooler. We went with a rather large 9-day cooler that had some difficulties fitting under the counter height we needed. So to put the sliding channels on the floor with a board on top of those wasn't working.
Jeremiah came up with a neat idea, but he ran into a little more work than I think he was expecting. He cut channels in the 1/2" floor ply to fit the slide bars down into. Then he slid some 3/4" ply pieces underneath the floor to screw the slide bars into, creating a countersunk slide mechanism.

He cut a 1/2" piece of ply for support on top.

We are having a little trouble getting it to slide well, and are worried about it being able to handle the weight of our cooler. The slides are rated for 100lbs, but there is a lot of resistance when it is extended. We may end up putting a support chain from the wall to the slide board to help pull up the slides when they are extended.
Any advice is welcome.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Yours could be a slide I haven't seen previously, but those look like slides designed for side-mounting on a drawer. If so, they're giving you grief as they weren't designed to run/support weight horizontally. Google "undermount drawer slides" and you'll see the difference.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Re: The Arboreous Weekender

Postby kristaology » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:19 pm

fishboat wrote:Yours could be a slide I haven't seen previously, but those look like slides designed for side-mounting on a drawer. If so, they're giving you grief as they weren't designed to run/support weight horizontally. Google "undermount drawer slides" and you'll see the difference.

You're totally right. We figured that out a little too late. Got any recommendations on brands for the undermount slides? I've been looking on Amazon.
Carpenter in progress!

Build Journal:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71677
kristaology
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals