HF camping gear enclosed trailer (done)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

HF camping gear enclosed trailer (done)

Postby pinkelephant » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:05 pm

No this is not a teardrop build.

I considered making a queen size trailer but decided to just make a waterproof box that I can carry my camping gear in because that is the easiest way for us three to go camping quickly. I have a large instant tent and want everything I need in footlockers that can just be flipped open for easy access in the tent. Making quick setups and teardowns.

I have the folding 1720 lb Harbor Freight trailer. I've already strengthened the tongue with a 2 by 2 square tube from front to back.
That thread is here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69670
I will post the rest of the build here.

My first priorities is to still be able to haul 4 by 8 sheets of material on the trailer and have the ability to move lawn mowers (I'm remodeling a 1927 one room schoolhouse and I have an acre and a half of lawn) I'm going to have a removable lid.
I'm going to make a simpler (uglier) version of this guys trailer:
https://youtu.be/N4qdhFC7APw

I'm doing this on my phone so I hope I'm not breaking forum rules with pic size.
This is what my trailer has been for over a year

I am more concerned with locking my gear up so I can walk away than I am about weather proofing.

I'm going with 24" high walls. I thought that was too low but my boards are a lot taller than I thought and this will work nicely.

I've done most of the cutting and assembly for the front and side walls but I didn't take any more pics since then. I'm a trucker so this will be weekend work.
I will take more pics as I proceed
Last edited by pinkelephant on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Re: HF camping gear enclosed trailer

Postby greygoos » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Good luck with your build. You might want to consider building your box so that the top could accomodate your tent to get you off the ground when you are camping. Maybe use this as an example.
Attachments
explorer-box-mobile-diy-tent-camper-easy-set-up-07.jpg
explorer-box-mobile-diy-tent-camper-easy-set-up-07.jpg (95.99 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby pinkelephant » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:33 am

We have a 6 year old and my arthritis means my elbows have to point out when I sleep. I have a large tent. The original plan was a queen size camper with a bunk bed over our feet sideways. I just decided I wanted more Elbow Room. Literally
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:21 pm

Got some done today. Also got some pics of where I'm at so far. I ripped a bunch of 2x4s down to 1"x3" on a table saw to cut down on weight and to match my stake pocket posts. If you haven't done that before you will be surprised how much dust that makes. It's a job that needs a mask.

Here is a glimpse of how it will look from the side

I notched my stake pockets because I need to be able to haul 4x8 sheets when I'm done

This was my plan for where the tailgate will latch but I realize sitting here that that wont work because the back will be at least 1.5" thick when framed up

That's a lot of camping gear!!
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:37 am

It's raining and mommas at work so me and my camping partner are playing with deck paint in the livingroom :lol:
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm up to four coats of deck paint on the walls. I got a little sloppy in my weatherproofing mode. I will tape it off and clean it up with some gray paint in a couple days.
My next step is to strip all the Hardware off of the trailer and paint it black.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:13 am

I finished the wall paint, painted the trailer and replaced all the hardware. It's starting to take shape

pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

Nice job . Hope it works out for you
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby pinkelephant » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:34 am

greygoos wrote:Nice job . Hope it works out for you

Thx. I've been planning this for a while in my head so I'm just winging each step as I get too it but I'm going for a heavy duty, utilitarian theme (as compared to the dinky trailer) so I think everything should work out in the end. The Midwest is having some very strange weather lately. Either it's not raining or it's driving down in sheets like the tail end of a hurricane. I have to go outside between the monsoons

This weekend I got the LED lights mounted and I moved the light brackets back to the back Edge and did a little touching up. That's all I got done. I want to be camping in a couple of weeks so I'm going to slap it out pretty quick. All I have left is the tailgate and the lid.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:49 pm

I worked on the tailgate today.  The thickest board I had in the basement  was a piece of 3/4" sub floor osb. The trimming was scrap from the table saw after making the 1 X 3s
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:50 am

Tailgate is done.
Just need chains to hold up the tailgate. Then bearing buddies and a lid.
I don't want to start the lid until I have everything ready and a full day to work it out. I'm using pressure treated lumber on the lid and whenever I trim AC2 wood, it warps. So I want to make my 1x3s when I am ready to do it.
I just gave the trailer a 50 mile test drive to buy a washing machine. I can see over the trailer with the rear view mirror. I'm glad about that.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:36 am

I painted a piece of angle iron to beef up the tailgate and added D rings and chains. I stood on the tailgate and bounced a little with my 255 lbs. Solid as a rock. Just need a lid now

pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:43 pm

Be real careful using that flake board outside. Make sure its well sealed and
add sealant/paint to any penetrations or scratches. Drilled holes I paint
before using the new fasteners. Obsessive, I know, but I've used some that
lasted by being that way.
:thinking:
Interesting idea you are working on. I'll be watching your build develop
with interest.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pinkelephant » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 am

pchast wrote:Be real careful using that flake board outside. Make sure its well sealed and
add sealant/paint to any penetrations or scratches. Drilled holes I paint
before using the new fasteners. Obsessive, I know, but I've used some that
lasted by being that way.
:thinking:
Interesting idea you are working on. I'll be watching your build develop
with interest.
:thumbsup:

thanks. I just used that pressboard because it was scrap. I wouldn't use it anywhere that it wasn't so easy to replace. I definitely scratched it up this weekend while loading up the old washing machine and hauling a bunch of other junk.
I did a lot of thinking about how to put a hinge on the lid that had easily removable pins that where secure enough to drive down the road. Now I think I'm just going to make a ledge to hold it when I tip up the other side and just have some padlocks anchor It down when it's closed. I'm not going for "full watertight". I just want to lock my stuff up
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:24 am

My friends going to make me a deal on a 5 x 12 Toy Hauler Trailer around next summer. That's going to be my next project, converting that into a camper that can be used in all four seasons. It's currently a rolling deer blind with four windows and solar power. I probably have about a hundred hours of Labor in building that. I just did it for the challenge
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals