HF camping gear enclosed trailer (done)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: HF camping gear enclosed trailer

Postby pinkelephant » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 pm

I sliced up three 10 ft 2x6 treated boards to make the lid frame. It's the only treated wood on the trailer other than the deck. My local farm supply store had table legs for $19. I couldn't pass that up.

I forgot to leave space over the tailgate for the lid so I had to trim the edge with a little free hand circular saw work.

To do list:
▪Some 3/8ths plywood on top and all the lid hardware.
▪A way to hold one side while the other side tilts up.
▪A lip (3/8ths ply) on the inside edge of the walls going up into the lid.
▪More paint.

I'm camping next weekend and half of this weekend is taken up with family stuff so the pressure is on.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:35 pm

looking good! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pinkelephant » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:looking good! :thumbsup:

Thanks!
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 am

My pics are a little oversized. You will have to open them to see the whole pic
My local Menards had crap for 3/8 plywood. I wound up using 1/4 inch underlayment. I sealed it to the frame with wet paint. It has the feel and the look of a ping pong table.
I clamped a piece of angle iron to it for a guide and used a circular saw to shave off that lip you can see on the front edge of this picture

I planned on using brown paint on the sides but it looked too good when I got to this point. There's a gallon of deck paint on the top of that

It was 51" wide so I had to use two pieces. This is the seem down the middle.

I spaced it up with a screw under each corner and left it over the trailer so the heat of the box would cure the paint a little more. I will put the hardware on Thursday night or Friday morning. It's heading for the campground Friday night

It has to survive the six weeks left in summer and then I can PMF the lid when it has time to dry. I also have the option of storing the lid in the basement during the winter
Last edited by pinkelephant on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:26 am

I Shrunk the two important pics from above to make it easier to see

pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:12 am

I'm out of time. My next pictures will be from a campout Friday night. There's only a few little things left to do. The bed needs pressure washed from yard work but I'm out of time for the little stuff

I cut an old painter's pole to 48" and used four hose clamps to mount two carabiners on the ends to make the pole holding up the lid. That is connected to two D rings.

I took some 1"x3" board and made a ledge to keep the lid from sliding off the edge when I tilt it up

By the time I get to the campground the corners will also be secured to the trailer to keep any rogue winds from causing any chopped heads.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Re: HF camping gear enclosed trailer (done)

Postby greygoos » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Very inventive. Happy Camping
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:16 pm

I like the fact that your "lid" also serves as a camp table ... Nice :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks and thanks
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:36 pm

I put garage door handles all around the lid and I cleaned up the lid safety chains.
I weighed it at a CAT scale on the way out and it weighed 1020 pounds loaded with a 160 tongue weight. That didn't count the AC in the back of the van

The trailer looks good in the rear view mirror. I keep thinking the trunk is open in my peripherals and I don't even have a car with a trunk.

I stopped at Walmart for fuel and at a speedway for lunch and ice. Both times I had someone come up and ask if I made it and tell me it's cool. I guess I did something right.

I got to the church camp and dropped my tent in a lot full of campers. I found out after I fully set up that the back campground was being used by the rodeo next door. I stayed back there because it wasn't worth the hassle to relocate. The first setup took 40 minutes. I just did the same exact setup in the backyard in under 30 mins. I can set up and be inside in 10,000 BTU AC in a little over 15 mins and the rest is inside work (instant tent)

Bedroom with AC

Livingroom that can have AC if the inside door is open

The third room is the entry room that can be the porch. Its also the bathroom.

It was 105 heat index both days so it was a good test.

Had taco truck tacos on the way home. It has nothing to do with the trailer but IT'S TACO TRUCK TACOS!!!

We did a father/child campout. 78 kids and their dads. All the kids hair was a mess, dirt and mud on clothes, not a good looking ponytail or hair tie in sight and NO tucked in shirts. It was perfect. My girl stepped in a mud puddle just before the group photo and got her flip flops sucked off right before she face planted. Wife hasn't seen that photo yet!. Oh yeah, when 78 kids keep yelling daddy and they all sound like your kid, that's funny!
She didn't get enough tent time at camp so I'm set up in the back yard for a night or two.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gold5one » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Nice job on the multipurpose camp trailer!
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:55 pm

And a sweet tent with air conditioning.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals