From-scratch camp trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

From-scratch camp trailer

Postby Highroad » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 pm

This started as a squaredrop to haul and store camp gear, with a rear galley. At the behest of my wife's plan-changing, the napkin of sketches was thrown to the side, and this benroy-style was born.

I started with a large capacity Harbor Freight trailer, removed the fenders and removed the folding ability. At this point, the cargo/storage trailer was still a dream. I had the entire thing closed in when my mind was changed for me to build a cozy sleepable interior. This meant my plan of storing a battery and propane tank in onboard cubbies was dashed, and brackets for both needed to be added to the tongue, but more on that later. Originally, the body would be angular, but after cutting it out, I decided to make the transitions more rounded. Mistake.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

All of the electrical was hidden behind boards so that any cargo being stuffed inside wouldn't snag wires. This was necessary since interior paneling wasn't planned. The galley is nearly complete at this point, complete with pull-out sink.

ImageImage

My plan, a simple sketch on paper, is no longer adequate for this. The front had been changed, the doors were a different design, and my interior shelf was removed. My from-scratch trailer is now being built ad-hoc, with mistakes being my learning curve.

An interior was added, with foam sheeting insulation, and more electrical was run to accommodate lighting, a vent fan, and a small control panel in the cabin.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

My plan for the exterior was to cover it with PMF, or Poor Man's Fiberglass. The canvas was easy to work with, but it took a lot of trial and error with the Titebond II. It dried quickly, and wasn't always effective. If I had it to do again, I'd just use thinned paint. I'd also pre-paint the backside of the canvas to promote better adhesion and help remove bubbles.
I've read a lot about PMF and felt confident I could do it. I couldn't be more wrong. It is hard. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I painted the exterior in black, my wife's decision, to best match our jeep (the tow vehicle).
The windows were from an old coach that my father gave me, as was the vent.
The grey tank was liberated from an old water softener. The water tank is a 15 gallon concession type.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Most everything in the interior was sourced from Amazon.
ImageImageImageImageImage

After 4 coats of exterior latex, I added a pop of color. I was always told in woodworking that if you painted anything, it was to cover up flaws. And it works, I covered a lot of flaws.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Closer to completion for the maiden voyage.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

After our first trip, I made a few modifications. The faucet would drip after a few minutes, and would soak the counter. A small rainshower convinced me to seal up some leaks, and rethink how water flows off the hatch when in the upright position. I also sewed up some "batwings" from the leftover canvas. I figure this will help keep me warmer when using the galley during my hunting trips in the colder seasons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Highroad
Teardrop Inspector

Re: From-scratch camp trailer

Postby PCO6 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:41 am

Nice job. Lots of good ideas there.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:43 am

WoW!! Quite the mega post. From start to finish in one shot.

Hope you are enjoying your camper. :applause:
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am

Isn't it amazing how much labor goes into building one of these? :thumbsup:

and rethink how water flows off the hatch when in the upright position.

What was your fix? What hinge? And what are those struts?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:59 pm

2-thumbs up.jpg
2-thumbs up.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Highroad » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:58 pm

I used a hurricane hinge. The issue was that the rain would run down the upright door, run along the hinge to the end, and run back along the underside of the door, dripping into the galley. I put two small extensions under the hinge in hope that the water would run further away from the wall. Also, to channel the water to the hinge (to prevent water from just running down the side of the hatch) I formed a small bead of silicone. Eventually, I'm hoping to install drip edges that run down the hatch. Also, I am trying to fabricate a gasket for the hatch, but finding one that attaches on a 90 angle. But I'm still looking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Highroad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Nice Job :applause:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Build Journals