First TD Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First TD Build

Postby Wevo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Here is our rooftop tent installed finally. Now we can take the kids with us or a few friends.
We got the one with the annex for the extra room underneath.
The passenger teardrop door opens into the annex room. The kids can go up and down the ladder without going outside.
We tested it out in the redwoods in Santa Cruz California during a hydrofoil contest I was entered in.
Everything worked great!

I had to figure out a quick way to lock our tent to the trailer. The way it’s mounting design is makes it easy to just unbolt and remove. I installed 2 eyelet bolts in series using the existing trac on the tent rail.
I am able to put a 3/8 shank lock through them with a 3/8 cable. I run the cable through my rack down through the tire to the frame.
Afterwards I wanted to cover the trailer if it’s outside to conceal the tent underneath. Out of sight out of mind.

I didn’t want to order a custom cover and pay a lot so instead I made one.
I bought a harbor freight $23 dollar 14x14 11’x19’mesh tarp. I am picky and didn’t want a baggy floppy tarp or cover hanging over it.
I cut a strip 4 inches wider than the front curve. It was 52”x 19’. I did not cut the length down. After I cut the sides to match the trailer contour I started sewing. I did it by hand with a a leather sewing awl.
Once I sewed both sides on I cut the excess length off and finished it. I placed the edge eyelets of the tarp to the bottom of the trailer. This gives me places to bungee the tarp to the frame.

Fits like a champ!!

I’m planning on sewing in moisture vents.

This cover is just for temporary outside storage when I’m going on a trip.
Not sure how long it will last but for less than $30!

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wevo
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals