Build journal on Instructables

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build journal on Instructables

Postby DJ Davis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:40 pm

All,

For simplicity, here's the link to my "Ibles" page:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Home-b ... op-Camper/

DJ
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Re: Build journal on Instructables

Postby swoody126 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:58 pm

nicely documented w/ good pics

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Dj, nicely done. The final finish turned out great! You mentioned, almost as a side note, an ice maker. I must know about this! What did it cost, where did you get it, what is the daily output, and how much power does it use?

:icedtea:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Good job on the video, the instructables, and the teardrop. :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DJ Davis » Sun May 09, 2021 2:19 pm

Rob,

I'm afraid you read something into my build log that's not there - I installed an icemaker filter in between the outside water connection and the galley spigot. Sorry, I have no icemaker. I have, though, just invested in one of those Iceco J30, 32 qt. 12V/120V fridge/freezer coolers. The mfg claims it can make ice and I may put it to the test to see how it does on that feature. Right now I'm looking forward to not having to worry about ice on future camping trips. Boonie and between? For off-grid, I have a 330W rechargeable/portable power station that I can plug the cooler into overnight and run it off my solar panels during the day. While traveling, the cooler has the 12V connector to plug into the cig lighter-style power outlet. Yes, 32 qts is kinda small, but I think it'll do for the wife and I to augment our dry/canned stores for meals. The next camping trip is 14-15 May and I'm going to see how it does on all counts, power-wise (110/12V/solar).

DJ
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby MickinOz » Sun May 09, 2021 2:30 pm

I have a 15L/16 US quart fridge.
I do over nighters'
It keeps 4 beers, 4 soft drinks, and enough food for dinner and breakfast for 2 cold.
Your 30L fridge would seem huge to me.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby DJ Davis » Mon May 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Hi, Mick!

Nice to hear from someone from Oz! My mum was from Brisbane and I'd keep in touch with my Uncle Garth in Cairns as best I could - he had a cell phone, but would keep it off a lot to save battery, etc, while he was out hunting/fishing. Sadly, we lost mum in 2000 and Garth in 2009.

My wife's Korean and likes bringing her kimchi and such, so the need for a slightly larger cooler is essential. I make do with canned/dried tucker augmented with some meats frozen before departure to throw on the barbie at the campsite. Mum was great with camping logistics and I learned most of my skills from her. She'd be thrilled with some of the camping tech we have today.

Cheers!

DJ
Last edited by DJ Davis on Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJ

DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Mon May 10, 2021 2:21 pm

DJ, awesome build and build journal. Some very creative solutions we can all benefit from.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to Build Journals