new build thread off road camper side view mock up added

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

new build thread off road camper side view mock up added

Postby saltydawg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Okay first the trailer has no name, yet or maybe never.

Secondly it is inspired by sawtoothxl, which was inspired by the grasshoppers ( the shape any way i think ). It also draws on some designs from the uev 490 and 440, mostly the kitchen and door to get in. Over all body length is 12 feet, floor length is 10 feet. The sketchup I attached below is just a basic layout, there are a few things changed.

The frame over all is approx 17'6" from rear to tow ball, the body will be about 2 feet past the rear of the frame. Main frame is 2x3 14 gauge, A frame tongue is all 2x3 11 gauge. I still have to put the out riggers on it to get it to the final width, which 5' 6" inside measurement . It is currently just tack welded using my flux core welder, the new mig welder just showed up today... yippee.

The body will be fiberglass over foam vac laminated panels similar to sawthooth ultimate, infact the fiberglass is coming from the same place. Sawtooth unlimited had to have it delivered, I am going to drive to get it, about 9 hours each way but I am saving a bunch over what he paid, Dexter torflex axle 3500 lbs down rated to 2k, 6 bolt hubs with brakes, as you can see I dont have the axle yet so I gave it some wheels so I can move it.

Build thread at expedition portal , I am going to put most of it over there but will try to copy it here.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/thre ... ad.217954/

sawtooth unlimited build thread
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/thre ... er.183743/

Last edited by saltydawg on Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: new build thread off road camper

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:58 am

This should be quite an interesting build! :thumbsup:

I briefly looked at the link you sent. The composite panel construction is interesting.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: new build thread off road camper side view mock up added

Postby saltydawg » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:52 pm

okay to get a scale and help with the layout of stuff I built a luan side panel. Its just for scale planning at this point. There will be no wood in the frame or structure, just cabinets.

There are two pics with the truck, they are taken at slightly different angles and it makes the trailer look larger over all in one and shorter in the other. The body tip to tip is 12'4" in side height will be 5'3" actual side wall height out side is 5'8" with a pop up on the rear so I can stand up and for ventilation if needed. Also I dont have my axle yet so it probably will drop over all height a few inches . I also put on of the window frame on it to show window position by the bed. It does fit in the garage as is with 3 or 4 inches of clearance.

Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Return to Build Journals