Grasshopper homage. Or fromage

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Grasshopper homage. Or fromage

Postby Daveyj » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Not much done, I’ve been busy with work and scouts. I thought I’d escaped that, but the group asked me to stay on to mentor the new leaders.

Found some 235/75/15’s for a decent price, they mounted up ok on my new rims. Little more room for clearance on the fenders. Speaking of that, I painted them with rattle can box liner, got them mounted tonight. Just some lag bolts through the sides. I may add a bracket , they seem fairly stiff but I’m not sure if they will last if someone sits on them. I’ll dig through my scrap pile, I think I have some 2x1/8” flat bar that would work. Just butyl between the fenders and body for now.
Got the last couple feet of trim on, not my finest work but it’s not bad enough to change out. I’m sure it won’t bother me every time I look at it. Much.
A buddy has an old cargo rack, I’m going to mount that on the tongue with the battery, it can hold that and the spare. Probably be room for the cooler as well.
Got the gas struts mounted for the rear hatch, they are just strong enough. Lucky guess, and a light door. I’ll need to replace the screws on the door with bolts, they aren’t holding very well. Minor details.

https://imgur.com/a/7PcsKIJ
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:10 am

Stopped and grabbed the cargo rack and campstove at a friends, unfortunately ran into a couple of issues. The rack was in pretty bad shape , so despite the fact that it was my favourite price, I decided to go new. It was pretty rusty, and had some gouges in the top tube. Pretty thin material, it would be a pain in the fundamental to weld up. Princess auto had aluminum hitch carriers on sale as it happens, I bought a fold up one for $126. It uses a steel 2x2” tube with steel brackets. Just cut the brackets off the tube, they are a perfect fit for the tongue. As much as I don’t want to spend anymore $$, I think that I wouldn’t be happy if I cheaped out on such a visible part.

The other setback is my stove drawer. When I made it, I didn’t plan for the depth of my stove properly. For some reason I had it in my head that the stove was 3” tall folded up, so I gave myself 3.5” to be safe. 1/2” clearance should have been enough right? Well, when I brought my stove home it’s actually measurement is 4”. 1/2” to tall for the space. Darn it. To make both the inner and outer drawer shorter now would be a colossal pain. I’m looking for a shorter stove, but everyone I’ve found has been ridiculously expensive. I’m just going to load the stove in the back for now, hopefully I can find one that’s reasonable.

I’m not sure if I mentioned that I moved the rear axle back 6” for better weight balance, but I did. I was getting a tongue weight of around 70lbs, too light in my opinion. I measured the total weight at around 1000 lbs unloaded, without the water tank full, and as that’s behind the axle it would have made that worse. With moving the axle it went to 107 lbs , a little better. Ran some 8ga wire and moved the battery up to the front as well. Wish I’d have gone with my gut and roughed that in before I skinned the roof but there you go. Not the worst mistake I’ve made, but maybe something to think about for next time.

https://imgur.com/a/PRvAPas
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 am

Chores and studying yesterday, didn’t get much done. I have an exam on Tuesday for my welding examiner, it’s a rough one. Codes and standards. Nothing like try to memorize 1000 + pages of the driest reading I’ve ever done. I’m hoping to at least be able to pick out the appropriate section quicker.
I did do a few things, welded the basket on, and pulled out the decal eraser to clean up the rear hatch. At least that worked well, totally worth the 15 bucks I spent on it. Door has some fading and stains, but nothing a few bumper stickers can’t cover.
I’ve been thinking about getting some decals made up for the sides, maybe I’ll get one made for the rear too. The reality of used parts, but I couldn’t have afforded new doors and hatches so I’ll have to deal with it.

https://imgur.com/a/JjlBdXl
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Took the grasshopper out for the first time today, a short trip to the weigh scale. Paid the $17 (ouch) came in at 1103 lbs dry. 178 of that is tongue weight, that will lighten up when I fill my water tank. Overall I’m happy with how it all worked out.
Pretty much usable for now, I still need to do some trim and shelves inside but i can do that whenever.

https://imgur.com/a/FQTKprE
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Been busy this week, didn’t do much. Finally had some parts come in, my jacks and stove, roof rack etc. The push will be on as I’m hoping to camp in it next weekend when we work on the scout cabin. Shelving won’t be in, but hopefully I can get the rack and awning up, and also get the solar panel installed.
I’ll need to grab some more dicor to seal that once it’s up. Butyl tape should be good for now.

Luckily, the cheap Coleman stove I bought fits the stove drawer, I wasn’t sure if the measurements were correct online. It’s only 3” tall , gives me a 1/2” clearance. I’m pretty happy with that.
Tomorrow yard work, I need to take down a couple trees and buck them up for firewood, but I’m hoping to get an hour or two to get the jacks welded onto the frame at least

https://imgur.com/a/gYyonEa
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:24 pm

Got more done than I thought I would after cutting firewood.
Installed the roof rack, and got my awning installed as well. Had to order a missing connector, but they are pretty cheap so it’s not the end of the world. Mounted the solar panel and charge controller, seems to be working, although by the time I got it hooked up I was in the shade. .1 amps. :) I’ll try and check it right after work and see what I’m getting. 100 watt panel, should be enough to keep my non deep cycle battery topped up anyways. I should probably pick up a deep cycle instead of just using my shop battery.
Got the jacks welded on, just need to touch up the paint. Stupid rattle can malfunction, it’s a brand new can but the valve is plugged, pretty frustrating.

Still need to trim out the fan, and trim the mattress so it fits a bit better. Shelving in the cabin too, but all that can be done after next weekend. Planning on camping at the scout cabin, we’re having a working weekend. Going to chink the cabin, not sure if anybody else is going to come, but I’ll get done what I can. It’s never been done, hopefully it will cut down on some of the drafts.

https://imgur.com/a/J4kRLnS
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Rushing around trying to get ready for the weekend, put up some interior shelving for clothes storage. Not ideal, but if it bothers me I’ll redo it with ply this winter. Couple coat hooks and wire bibs for shoe storage as well. Just got a text from a buddy , he has a deep cycle battery for me, so that’s a lucky score. I was dreading paying for one.

https://imgur.com/a/FYHPnEh
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:09 am

It’s 7 am, just made it through my first night.
Loaded up after work, I decided to bring my genny and an electric heater just in case. Forecast low was 2 deg C. And it is as I write this. Ran the heater for a bit last night to take the chill out of the air. We were toasty warm last night with just body heat.
Woke up early, currently enjoying a coffee. I’m pleased at how well everything is working.

https://imgur.com/a/GESRb0K
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Daveyj » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Back at home, last night wasn’t so cold. My wife slept over, my daughter stayed home to look after the dogs. I was worried about her being cold, but shouldn’t have. She was so warm , she kept kicking the blankets off. I probably should have shown her how the fan works.

I can see I need to add some shelving in the back, a way to contain garbage, and some prep/ dish washing surface. Prep area, I think I’ll put a cover on the inner drawer, some thing on hinges maybe. I’m thinking I’ll build some shelves that will take the disposable Tupperware containers. We use those quit a bit, and it would be handy for loading up.
Anyways, I’m calling it done for now, I’ll toss in an update when I get back to it.
All pics below.

https://imgur.com/a/lmc1QTB

Dave
Daveyj
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals