I think I can... I think I can...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

I think I can... I think I can...

Postby Melle.17 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:38 pm

I have officially begun. Design is done and hanging on the wall (although I'm sure I'll make tons of changes still!). Trailer is here and I've demo'd it and have started cleaning it. Removed the tires... I had planned on purchasing new hubs so when I took off the tires and the lug stem came with them I knew hubs were coming quick! Also bought new wheels. I have seen some suggestions of what to use to paint the trailer frame, some type of rust stop. There is not a lot of rust, just a little, but want to make sure things don't get worse. Has anyone used anything they would recommend that isn't overly pricey? Thanks all!164056
Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Re: I think I can... I think I can...

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:18 am

Looks good so far. Regarding rust, there is actually a product in a rattle can that chemically converts the rust to a hard black primer. Not sure what it's called. Take a wire brush to the rust, wipe the surface clean and spray away. Easy peasy! :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 am

Melle.17, deaing w/ any rust issues now is way less costly(time sweat and $$) than facing it on down the road

a product called Ospho has been a staple for this issue for many years

http://ospho.com

scuff the affected area(s) w/ a Scotch-Brite pad to remove all scale and simply paint it on

it turns black and can then be painted w/ a rust inhibiting product like Rustoleum(brush or spray) to help in reducing further issues

former camping trailers like yours frequently become available due to water intrusion and deterioration(rot and delamination) of non waterproof materials used in the original manufacturing process

if you wish your efforts and investment to last it is strongly suggested that you use all waterproof materials/plywood and not get caught up in the false economy of using less noble products like underayment OSB particle board and non exterior(actually labeled on the sheet) plywood

some glues are listed as "water resistant" which doesn't mean waterproof

some will tell you about their successes using the lesser products and a few do actually get away with it butt in the long run it isn't economical or prudent

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR BUILD

many of will be following along

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:04 pm

I don't have any rust on my trailer but I have a bit of metal yard art which got rusty. I painted it with KRUD KUTTER rust remover & inhibitor. (Sand off as much rust as you can first.) The rust remover & inhibitor has been on those and they've been outside continuously a couple years since. It seems to work very well. It comes in a bottle and you brush it on. Follow the directions on the bottle. After it dries, spray a metal paint over it. I think I got it all at an auto parts store. Also note that I bought auto paint (spray) at the auto parts store and painted my backyard furniture three years ago. That still looks pretty good. I leave everything out through all the seasons, not covered, too.

When you get to the wood deck, I used epoxy on mine, up top and underneath. I used CPES for that. Slightly more expensive but very easy to use. After it had outgassed a few weeks, I sprayed the underside with 3 or 4 cans of undercarriage spray, also from the auto parts store. (Most epoxy needs UV protection that the undercoating gives it. Some people use the undercoating by itself, which may be okay, or use Henry's roof coating.)

Be sure to come up to Lakehead (Antlers) the last weekend in April to camp or just to talk with those camped there in their home built trailers! You're not that far away and it's straight up the 5 freeway!

PS. If you think you can, you can!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Melle.17 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:52 am

I’ve made some progress even though I’ve only had a few hours after work each night. Not to mention California actually got some winter so It’s been cold and rainy and I lost power for a day. But I got the trailer cleaned up, got the rust off with a wire brush then treated the rust. Primed it and painted. Then put on the new hubs and wheels. Tomorrow I’ll pull it out since there’s no rain and do some touch up. My garage lighting isn’t the best. Then I can start my base. Looking forward to starting the build!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Looking good! What kind of trailer was the trailer before you demo'd it?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:21 pm

WhooHoo! That's a great looking frame! :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Melle.17 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:26 pm

From the best I could tell it was a pop up camper. It has a VIN but it was too hard to read to trace it back.

Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:56 pm

You'll probably need that VIN to register your trailer. Did you try a magnifying glass?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Melle.17 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 pm

I tried everything. It’s not that it’s too small. It’s actually very big. Stamped into the frame. But it’s too faint. I think it’s been sanded and painted over one too many times.

Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:30 pm

If you have the registration paper, both the license# and the vehicle registration number (VIN) are on it. If you don't, check with the DMV. They should have it, assuming it's been registered in CA at some point. It should also be on the bill of sale, which you will need to register it anyway.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Build Journals