16x7 cargo conversion basically done *what would you pay*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

16x7 cargo conversion basically done *what would you pay*

Postby Board917 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:12 am

I’m just about done with my build. Just some trim, slat wall in the cargo area and put the fridge in. This has ended up being a lot more trailer than I need and I am considering selling it. Looking to get an idea of what people think I should ask for it.

There is ZERO MDF or particle board in this build. It is all hardwood plywood and poplar.

Video of the build below

https://youtu.be/LvZlOGeYeug
Board917
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 16x7 cargo conversion basically done *what would you pay

Postby noseoil » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 am

How much in direct costs are you into it for at this point? Trailer, interior, cabinets, etc.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Board917 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:40 pm

noseoil wrote:How much in direct costs are you into it for at this point? Trailer, interior, cabinets, etc.

Its a brand new trailer. My total investment is $7,000.
Board917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:04 pm

As this is a one-off, as-is purchase, you might be surprised how low people will want you to go.

As noseoil is implying, most people would like to/expect to pay the cost of your materials. Labor is most likely a loss.

Since there is no way to get repairs, no design documents, and no track record of performance and no warranty, someone buying this is limited to exactly what they see. Even being still new, people might look at that as untested.

Harsh? Yes. Realistic. Unfortunately yes.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Board917 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:44 pm

troubleScottie wrote:As this is a one-off, as-is purchase, you might be surprised how low people will want you to go.

As noseoil is implying, most people would like to/expect to pay the cost of your materials. Labor is most likely a loss.

Since there is no way to get repairs, no design documents, and no track record of performance and no warranty, someone buying this is limited to exactly what they see. Even being still new, people might look at that as untested.

Harsh? Yes. Realistic. Unfortunately yes.

Its not a ground up build... the full integrity of the cargo trailer is there as well as a warranty. Its built a hell of a lot better than any junk RV world camper. I get what you are saying but I’m not looking to make a hug profit. Just recover the build cost and some time if i can.
Board917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:12 am

You can ask any price. No rules. You are limited only by the market around you. If someone absolutely needs a trailer, you are in command of the price. However, if there are 10 other choices for that one buyer, you are now having to undercut the competition to sell your trailer.

If you have time, pick a price and wait for buyers. If you get your price the first day, you were too low. If it does not move for a couple of weeks, you are too high.

My comments were not a judgement on the quality of your trailer. Just observations from other's sales.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:33 am

Yep, supply & demand have a lot to do with things. Right now is a good time to sell, since a lot of people are going "stir crazy" with the Covid restrictions in place & affecting most of life in traveling, motels & campground stays. RV sales in general are very brisk; lots of people who are retiring now, people changing states for a move, summer trips being planned to forests & state campgrounds. Inflation is too many dollars chasing too few goods. Deflation is too few dollars chasing too many goods. Somewhere in the middle is where we typically end up, but the market place still decides the "real" value of goods in trade. I would look at your build time as a bonus over the cost of materials. To the right person, $10K might be a good price for your build, but what someone is actually willing to pay is the real market value. This might be completely different for someone in California, than it is to Arkansas or northern New Mexico.

Our insurance company would only cover the cost of materials, since our trailer is a home-build. If I had a bill of sale from someone with a real transaction to show value, they would have covered the purchase price cost of the trailer, as it's a true reflection of the market value & therefore a legitimate value. If a bank is involved, the cost is determined by the bank's willingness to lend money on the value of the goods & transaction.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Board917 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:33 pm

I listed it for $12,000 last night and I am getting BLOWN UP!
Board917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:41 pm

Board917 wrote:I listed it for $12,000 last night and I am getting BLOWN UP!

Is that American speak for "the phone has been going boonta" ?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby saywhatthat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:11 pm

As this was clear a add to sale your trailer not about build with 12 post . I
find it may be hard believe anything about the phone price .Seem you are just dumping a use trailer and fishing for 12000 sale price
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:33 pm

saywhatthat wrote:As this was clear a add to sale your trailer not about build with 12 post . I
find it may be hard believe anything about the phone price .Seem you are just dumping a use trailer and fishing for 12000 sale price

Say what?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Say what?

most come to Build Journals looking for informant how to build .As there two places for posting sales on t n ttt . This was no more than a sale add for a used trailer for $12000. By placing it here hopping those looking to build would see there add
last night and I am getting BLOWN UP
means the last call I got was from AT&T to see if I wanted to change plans
Nice you showed a build video with your add. Most times when you see What would you pay is trying to side steep forums rules
ALL these years everyone that ever posted here show the respect to not post any sale add guess the had be a first. I hope it not a trend
Last edited by saywhatthat on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby Board917 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:12 am

saywhatthat wrote:As this was clear a add to sale your trailer not about build with 12 post . I

There is literally a link to a video of the build process...
Board917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Board917 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm

saywhatthat wrote:
Say what?

most come to Build Journals looking for informant how to build .As there two places for posting sales on t n ttt . This was no more than a sale add for a used trailer for $12000. By placing it here hopping those looking to build would see there add

I guess these are all messages from AT&T. Get a Loving life LOL.
Board917
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:46 am

saywhatthat wrote:
Say what?

Nice you showed a build video with your add. Most times when you see What would you pay is trying to side steep forums rules
ALL these years everyone that ever posted here show the respect to not post any sale add guess the had be a first. I hope it not a trend

I agree, should not advertise things in the build journals. Isn't this a sale ad?
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7 ... 0#p1263852
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals