Snuzie Cube

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Snuzie Cube

Postby DrewsBrews » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:24 pm

I've been typing up a whole intro this evening, but scrapped it. Short version: Ive been wanting to do a build for the past 10 or so years, life happened, but now Im serious.

My goal is to do a rather simple 5x10 squaredrop. Spacious interior and a utilitarian galley; working with what I have been able to acquire over the years, and what is readily available. Im willing to put in the work to try and make the trailer last, but I have done enough DIY to realize my own limits. So I opted to get surplus/b-stock doors, hatches and windows... Rather than reinventing the wheel and suffering consequences in build time/quality. Ive been waiting far too long.

I got a very good deal on a HF super duty frame kit a few years ago so Ive got that to work with. Though I need to find a way to stretch this 4x8 frame to 5x10. Fortunately Ive got an angle grinder, a flux core welder, and access to angle iron at the local hardware stores... So consider the world conquered. :lol: :twisted:

First beads: A tongue is born. The build officially begins.

Having no training at all besides watching a few youtube welding videos a few years ago, only a few hours of total welding experience, and having not used the welder in years.... I cleaned off the paint with a flap wheel and jumped in head first...

After laying down some ugly wrinkled hotdogs (left side) I remembered I need to crank it up to max power in order to get real penetration in this thick stuff (right side). Fortunately they rate 5000lb capacity on the coupler with proper welds so hopefully mine will hold up to the fraction of that weight this trailer will weigh. At least there is some scorched-off paint on the back side so hopefully that means some penetration occurred.

Now I sit contemplating the next steps.. Due to the small pieces the HF trailer comes in Ill need to splice pieces together. So likely many cutoff wheels will see their demise cutting splicing block and shaping pieces.. Getting familiar with plug welds seems prudent for splicing.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Re: Snuzie Cube

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:26 am

body filler makes everyone look like a great welder :)
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby pace » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am

saywhatthat wrote:body filler makes everyone look like a great welder :)
Brushable seam sealer as well. Eastwood makes some great brushable seam sealer to kill 2 birds with one stone. (1) Cover Ugly (2) protect from elements

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
pace
Teardrop Builder

Postby DrewsBrews » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm

The grinder makes the welder I aint.. as they say.

Ive been hitting the welds and bare spots with spray paint after Im done with photos. Hopefully slows the flash rust until finish paint.. Planning on doing black, but not sure what paint to use yet. Any suggestions?

Assembled the frame sides today. Plugged n stitched to splice it all together. These will end up with a portion cut and bent 25deg to meet up with the tongue bars and get the rest of the 5ft width. So the floor of the trailer will have the front corners cantilevered past the frame a little.

Last edited by DrewsBrews on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Farm store; Black gallon for equipment worked for me :shrug:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Great name.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:14 pm

twisted lines wrote:Farm store; Black gallon for equipment worked for me :shrug:

Thanks! checking it out now. Looks like Tractor Supply caries Rustoleum and Majic brand equipment paint.
At one point I picked up a set of sprayers on walmart clearance for about $20. But that probably would only work for small parts since my compressor is 2.5gal. So I bet Ill be brushing/rolling.

The horror show continues!

Weather is still holding out so this evening I ran to get some flat stock to complete an idea I had for integrating a hitch in the rear rail halves (cut down two 4ft rails in order to get 5ft width). Once the support bars are added to tie into another rail it probably will be a 15+lb weight splurge to only ever use a hitch mount bumper/guard or something. But I feel I would have been disappointed with the lost opportunity if I didn't. Can still access the pin holes behind the rail. Id rather deal with awkward access for the pin than bash my shins on it every time Im back there.

The bottom didn't really need full welds but I'm still learning how much shrinkage to anticipate. Just stitches didn't quite pull it back flat so I filled em in and that brought it near perfect. :thumbsup:
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:06 pm

I tried to measure out the pie pieces to cut out of the side rails in order to bend them inward to meet the tongue bars. Ran into some difficulty getting the measurements to line up top to bottom. I think partially due to the fact the rails were bent into the c-shape so there is quite a large radius that is hard to use a straight edge against and mark and partially due using a sharpee to mark. It is a bit critical for them to align well or the bend will angle up or down compared to the rest of the rail which would not be great. Stopping to think how to better do this so I don't rush into a mistake.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Have some time to get my thoughts on (digital) paper.

Rough estimate of what i'm planning:

Single large 43"x43" door. Total interior sleeping area will be 8ft long and reverse sleeping orientation. So there will be about 16" of stepping area at the foot of the mattress up front by the door. May need to put some grab handles to scoot around. Though it should be tall enough inside (5ft wall height) to move around on knees.

-Windows are 20"x22" sliding with bug screen

-The smaller squares near the windows are vent fans that will be on both sides with the intakes integrated into an overhead cabinet. They use computer type 12v fans. I can easily swap them out with higher output ones if they don't move enough air. This way the (already tall) roof remains smooth for aero and free of holes.

-The half circle is a vent on both sides to allow some base-level air flow without needing to crack the windows...should be beneficial when put back to storage to vent off any moisture generated during use.

The galley area I am harvesting some ideas from the trailer in the below video. I have a 4.5'x3.5' left hinged hatch door. Planning to implement a similar swing down counter to access storage underneath as shown in the video. I picked up a 4.5' wide awning to permanently attach to the back also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wptp2DjyVcY

Currently planning on wiring for shore power only with a laptop style power supply to power the 12v fans and lighting. I have some deep cycle batteries sitting around but the idea of maintaining one in a trailer is rather off-putting for me. Ill probably keep a spot for one in case I have a change of heart.

No propane. Im all-in on white gas. It really gets my nostalgia flowing! I like being able to top-off the tanks before a trip compared to the guess work propane entails. Just this weekend I scored a Coleman 413G to upgrade from the 425. Also have a couple Coleman white gas lanterns.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Regrouped this evening and got more satisfactory marks.

Mocked them up with the tongue to be sure the angles were close enough.

Put a wood piece to better visualize where the front wall will be.

DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Attached the side rails to the tongue bars this evening. Ran out of light, so no pics, but not much different visually compared to yesterday's mockup.

Any thoughts on axel placement? Thinking somewhere between 6-12" would be prudent. I know it depends on weight distribution...

I doubt Ill use a battery often if ever but if I would it would go in the galley by the other electrical. Galley will be spartan but will be the storage area for chairs and awnings and such in transit. Planning to have an AC unit and spare tire up front.

Im a bit torn on the AC unit mounting. Initially I was thinking minimalistic to save weight and time. Instead of a tongue box, have a rack (converted hitch mount basket) to put the cooler or throw firewood bundles on. At the campsite it gets unloaded to reveal a low mounted hatch to open and push the AC unit out... Then I started having thoughts of permanently mounting the AC in an open bottom box (for venting) that I could extend upward to create a tongue box for more storage. Not having to wrestle the AC unit is very tempting, but I dont think I want to tack on the extra build time and weight. I also dont think I absolutely need a tongue box if I'll have storage area under the counter in the galley (roughly 20"x24"x60"). Ugh decisions
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am

Generally, 2/3 - 1/3 will work for most designs (set the rear axle at 1/3 of the cabin's length from the back of the build). You need at least 10% of the build's total weight on the tongue for good tracking at higher speeds, so this rule of thumb is close enough & should be fine.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 am

Wow that would be 20" back from center for 66/33% placement

I suppose I was comparing to the standard harbor freight placement which is only 7" back from the center for a 57/43% placement, Though must always be mindful to load it front heavy. I imagine the galley on a tear focuses the weight rearward.

Not that this trailer will be much of a looker, but I was hoping to keep the windows in line above the wheels because IMO it looks haphazard otherwise. With the axel 80" from the front that would put the back edge of the windows only ~6" from the back/headboard wall. Seems a bit excessive but it may be fine since that puts it right near your head when sitting up at the back wall giving more of a full view. Ive got more mulling-over to do.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Here is a helpful design calculator to help with trailer weight distribution:

https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm

It can account for batteries & your galley, which weigh more than other parts of your build.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:20 pm

Well I tried that calculator and got some interesting results. Threw in 1400lb trailer weight just as a rough guesstimation (hopefully on the heavy side). Added 100lb 10" from the rear and 40lb 10" in from the front wall and get 300lb tongue weight with axle 20" from center. 10" from center is a more reasonable 200lb.

[edit] Nope I see where I messed up. Weight of tongue % is actually the weight of the tongue bar it seems DOH! That changes things quite a bit. :oops:

Finding 16"-18" back is a pretty nice butter zone. When I play around with the weights the tongue weight doesn't seem to get too high or low.

Thanks for all the input sofar! It is definitely steering me in the right direction.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals