Multi function 5-8'x12' trailer!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Multi function 5-8'x12' trailer!!

Postby Murdy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:18 am

Hi everyone! I've been building my trailer now for a few months... but entirely in my head, and mostly at 3am when I can't sleep! Hahaha!

I'll start with a description of what I'm planning, and hopefully you all can chime in and tell me where my bad ideas are before I turn them into reality.

So... as mentioned in the title, it will be a 12' long build. The "5-8" portion of the description is because the front will be 5' (wide enough for a queen mattress) as will the entire interior. At the wheels, I'll be building the frame out to expand around the wheels. Above the wheels will be compartments to hold gear and utilities on the one side, and an outdoor kitchen on the other. I'll have a cargo style door on the back to allow for loading bikes and/or animals when hunting. And, since i recently sold my F150, I'll need to be able to use the trailer for hardware store runs as well. The interior height will need to be 6'3" in order to eliminate eff bombs when smashing my head. (I'm 6'1")

I'll be building it so that the tongue height will be at right around 24". As I'll be aiming for a total dry weight of less than 2000lbs and a max GVWR of 3500lbs (although I plan to only use that in the extreme circumstances), I've got 2 Timbren 1THD axle-less suspension systems coming. The hubs match my tow vehicle in order to have multi purpose spare tires. (5x114.3)

On that note, the tow vehicle is a '21 Rav4 TRD off-road (rated to pull 3500lbs). I've lifted it 2", and she'll be getting new boots once they arrive. I initially ordered Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, but am currently trying (and struggling) to change my order to Duratracs. The tires that I took off of the car (Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 225-60-18 @ 28.6") will be used as the trailer tires.

Now... because I'm crazy and live in Canada (2 separate statements there for the record... haha) I'm hoping to be able to integrate a small removable hatch in the trailer floor/deck in order to be able to use this as an ice fishing shack in the winter as well. Should be able to throw a skirt around the base of the trailer, pop open the hatch, drill a hole or 2 and catch some fish in a nice warm spot.

Here are a few pics of the sketch up drawings I've got so far. I got a little lazy with the drawings of the metal around the wheels, but I'll actually be building frame on either side of each set of wheels, and adding in braces between. There will also likely be a few gussets on the box of the trailer frame.... but you get the idea. Tongue will be designed once I see exactly how high she sits in relation to my little ute.
TNTTT1.png
TNTTT1.png (56.73 KiB) Viewed 831 times

TNTTT2.png
TNTTT2.png (38.38 KiB) Viewed 831 times

TNTTT3.png
TNTTT3.png (22.69 KiB) Viewed 831 times

For the frame and shell, I'm leaning heavily towards a frame of 2x3's oriented the way that you wouldn't orient them normally with 1.5" foam insulation (because... well... Canada). 2' of insulation, 1 2x3, repeat. On the outside will be either Lauan or OSB screwed and glued to the 2x3's and likely just glued to the foam. I really want to be able to use a spray on box liner to coat the whole thing. I'm getting slightly mixed opinions in my resaerch, but I feel like it's doable. This way, I would not need any trim, and would have no seams to worry about leakage.

Soon enough I'll design the outside walls and add in doors, windows, hatches, etc. I'll update that once I get there.

Anywho.... wish me luck!! And feel free to chime in with a "Hey stupid!! Don't do that because it will explode." I'm here to learn, and try to do this right. Any and all ideas and experience sharing is more than happily accepted.
Murdy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Multi function 5-8'x12' trailer!!

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:24 pm

...or OSB screwed...

I strongly recommend against using OSB. It has poor screw-holding ability, doesn't glue well, and if any water gets in it, it swells and becomes soft and won't recover. Use exterior plywood.

Why the double axle out of curiosity?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Murdy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...or OSB screwed...

I strongly recommend against using OSB. It has poor screw-holding ability, doesn't glue well, and if any water gets in it, it swells and becomes soft and won't recover. Use exterior plywood.

Why the double axle out of curiosity?

:thinking:

Tony

Seems to be the general consensus on the OSB.... it is now officially scratched. A little back story on that... I had put a sacrificial last minute sheet of OSB over my chicken run at the start of winter. Over the winter snow, freeze, thaw, repeat cycle I assumed the sheet would have been destroyed come spring time. Not at all.... the sheet looks brand spanking new, so I considered it as an option. I've been talked out of it. :lol:

Technically no axles, but the double timbren axle-less was the recommendation from the Timbren reps. My dry weight plans are to be around (hopefully less) 2000lbs, and I want to be able to haul up to 3500lbs loaded with this tow vehicle, and potentially more if I were to upgrade to a bigger puller. That put me with the options of dual 1T HD, or single 5200#HD. They suggested the duals to be the better choice, and since I want to have my vehicle hubs match those of the trailer, I went with the dual 1T. 5200# set up does not have my bolt pattern as an option. I also had 4 tires that came off of my Rav4... so it just kinda worked. There were other factors that caused me to lean that way, but they were all minor enough that I don't recall them. Just little pros/cons that I had found in my readings.
Murdy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:05 pm

Yep you are Crazy, Try Getting this over the border :? I looked and they will for a small fee.
Attachments
Monstraliner.jpg
Monstraliner.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Last edited by twisted lines on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:50 am

I think this is where it got in my head :NC
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=70188
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Murdy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 am

Well.... I definitely read through most of that post before. Semi officially, my intention is to do a layer (or 2 if need be) of fiberglass, and then decide from there. If I did a decent job, I may paint it. If I have a bunch of flaws that could use to be hidden, I may spray it with Raptor Liner. We'll see.
Murdy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Murdy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:03 am

Not a whole lot to show in the design portion, but it's been a while, so here is what I've got. I have however welded up much of the frame... but I'll hold off on pics until I get it done and get some good pics.

PSTrailer.png
PSTrailer.png (40.69 KiB) Viewed 376 times

DSTrailer.png
DSTrailer.png (55.08 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Murdy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals