Spiro's 5x9 Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Spiro's 5x9 Build

Postby spiro.mitsialis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi All,

I love this forum. There is no way I'd be able to build a TD without the wealth of information here. I've posed a couple of questions and everyone's been so helpful. I'll have many more questions.
I think its time I start to document my build as well.
A little info.
- I've been thinking of building a TD for the last couple of years. My wife and I saw one a few years ago at a campground and fell in love.
- In December I finally found someone to build the 5x9 chassis. He had it ready in 2 wks.
- I'm using Sketchup to come up with the design and its based on the plans from Ryan's http://teardropbuilder.com/. Mine is longer and a little taller.
- I dont have a garage. This is my biggest pain point and will continue to be while I build. So I'm borrowing garages and working outdoors. BTW, I live in Montreal, Canada. We get snow.

A few screenshot from Sketchup:
I havent finished the roof outside skin. Having trouble figuring out how to do it. Also I need to add the hatch.

I had a friend help me bring the trailer home. UHaul didnt have my trailer hitch in time.

Used self etching primer first. My friend JF, lent me his garage for a few days.

Two coats of enamel paint.
Last edited by spiro.mitsialis on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiro.mitsialis
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Spiro's 5x9 Build

Postby spiro.mitsialis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 pm

I started building the deck in my Moms garage.
I let the glue dry too much and had to spend some time scrapping it off the chassis.

At home in the basement I started to work on the template. Used the method many members of this forum described. When I was happy with the curve, I trace it out and cut the template. Used 3/8 plywood.

This March, my daughter had her spring break and we rented a country place up north for a week. I ended up using the "Tempo", the tent as the workshop. It was cold out but not too bad when sheltered from the wind.

Got most of the wall frames built using 5 x 5 x 3/4 Russian Birch. I looked at 4x8 ACX at Home depot but they all look warped. I was afraid of having walls that warp and then trying to straighten them. The Russian birch is probably a bit heavier. I weighed each wall frame at about 52lbs. The wall frame is made using 3 section of 5x5 birch. I used a 2" lap joint to connect them. Final length is 10' 2".
I rough cut a door opening to lighten the wall. I still need to figure out what door I will order and then I will make the proper cutout.

This week, we had one nice dry day and I finished the wall frames in my back yard. Snow if finally gone although it supposed to snow a bit tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the walls temporarily clamped to the trailer chassis. Starting to look like a teardrop?

Next I need to work on skinning the inside of the walls and start on the cabinets.

Happy Easter Folks!
spiro.mitsialis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dacrazyazn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 pm

I've been lurking around here too! And want to get started soon. Nice start!
dacrazyazn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:33 pm

Here's a pic of the walls temporarily clamped to the trailer chassis. Starting to look like a teardrop?

It is. A lot.

Are you building or buying your doors? (Why so short?)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby spiro.mitsialis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:34 am

I will be buying the doors. From what I’ve read price wise it comes out to about the same thing. Also I’d like to be finished by September in order to use it a few times before winter. The doors would take me at least a few weeks longer to build properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spiro.mitsialis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bezoar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:48 am

Making nice progress. It does look like a teardrop! How do you plan to finish the outside?
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby spiro.mitsialis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:37 am

Bezoar wrote:Making nice progress. It does look like a teardrop! How do you plan to finish the outside?

I'm thinking of an aluminum skin with diamond plate on the front and on the lower sides. Still trying to source the aluminum in an off white colour. Once I've chosen the colour, I'll order the doors. The doors seem to come in white or black so I need to make a choice here too.
spiro.mitsialis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 am

The doors would take me at least a few weeks longer to build properly.

That's for sure. I've done it both ways. But if you can buy a taller door, buy it. Your head will appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Build Journals