Sleeper for Tacoma

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Sleeper for Tacoma

Postby woodslanding » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:42 pm

A few more details on the state of this.

I built a custom cooler to fit in the space next to the drawer. It has 2 inches of foam insulation all around, 1.5 inner foil-lined, and .5 outer pink. and is wrapped in one layer of 7.5 oz. fiberglass. Being single wall, it is not super sturdy, but it weighs about two pounds. We freeze blocks of ice using square plastic costco cashew containers, and it stays cool for up to 5 days. I experimented with putting color in the epoxy. Hmmm. That's interesting. Might use something like that on a countertop someday.... in this case, it did cover up a bit of the pink foam look.

I used some leftover flight case hardware for the latches and hinge. I drilled oversized holes and put threaded inserts (with greased screws in place) to mount the hardware to. Next time I will embed some aluminum or wood, and screw into that. So far it is holding, but it doesn't inspire confidence. It was all built from scraps, so it didn't cost anything. Did take about 8-10 hours though...

And here's a better view of the stove and the slide out cutting board. The windguard behind the stove folds down over it, and then the food boxes slot in over top. The cutting board pops out for cleaning, which it needs after the last trip. I did brush the forest litter off it before taking the photo. Behind the windscreen is a little slot that fits lighters, marshmallow sticks and cooking oil.... The stove is really well protected from wind.

To the left of the stove is the water tank, consisting of two 3-4 gallon mylar water bladders. BTo the right is the mini propane tank. I realize now it should be outdoors, but the risk seems pretty low. Next version it will be.

woodslanding
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals