Critter bug / Mini Van Conversion

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Critter bug out van for 2 / The morphing of a teardrop

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:18 pm

Philip wrote:I would not use fiberglass or the wool type of insulation also known as havaloc insulation. Those can and will hold moisture. Use something that doesn't hold moisture. Foam, bat type rock wool, Spray foam.

Thanks Philip, just happens I have some more 1/2" foam board and it's easy enough to work (with a knife or coarse wood rasp, can be shaped to fit most contours), plus I have 6 cans of silly foam that I can spray back in the hard-to-reach places.

Most of our travels will be in areas, where insulation shouldn't be a great concern. We are not cold weather campers.
Living in a 33' travel trailer full time now... it takes some doing to get everything ready for only a couple days of fishing somewhere.
That's where this van will be our bug-out-van... :R Like the plans we had for the teardrop. We can have everything in the van ready all the time.
(Decide to go fishing for a few days. Grab some food and ice. And head out) That simple :thumbsup: .

Next is the storage compartments under bed platform. Spent some time :thinking: things out in my head..
Area for the compartments is 4' wide x 44". Divide the area into smaller compartments and designed to have support for the mattress platform.
So right behind the cabinets, a compartment 12" wide x 47" long. Multi use area, over the fire cooking tri-pod, extra bottled water, rod and reels, extra fuels cells for the camp stove, etc. This compartment will have a completely removeable top, for easier access from both sides of the van..
Attachments
0025.jpg
0025.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 405 times
0022.jpg
0022.jpg (93.67 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:07 am

Moving right along to the compartments right behind the seats. This area will be split into 2 sections. One, for the battery, fuse box, battery charger etc. And anything thing else that can be stored out of the way. The second box will be for things like bedding (sheets, pillows, blankets). Complete first aid bag. To go bag, (this bag is for things needed away from the house camper, meds, computer or tablet, chargers for accessories).

0023.jpg
0023.jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 391 times

0024.jpg
0024.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 391 times

I have these compartments back far enough from the backs of the seats. There will be room between them and the seats for things like jumper cables, 25' shore power extension cord, 50' drinking water hose, jack, battery lanterns.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:13 pm

Wow, David! You're making fast progress. Everything looks great.

We, too are considering some type of "bug-out" vehicle. We love our travel trailer, but it is a lot of work for a weekend getaway. We like the comforts it has, but it takes too much advance planning. I had been thinking about a smaller "standy" build, but now you have me thinking about a van conversion. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Now - back to your fine build!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:13 pm

aggie79 wrote:Wow, David! You're making fast progress. Everything looks great.
We, too are considering some type of "bug-out" vehicle. We love our travel trailer, but it is a lot of work for a weekend getaway. We like the comforts it has, but it takes too much advance planning. I had been thinking about a smaller "standy" build, but now you have me thinking about a van conversion. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Now - back to your fine build!
Take care,
Tom

Tom, Thanks for the reply old friend.
Glad to hear from you. As for the progress, in some ways, it's easier when you have part of it already built. Using a travel trailer for a weekend is just not in the cards.
I thought about starting over with the teardrop. Just did not have the enthusiasm :cry: to start it all over from the trailer up. Not having a garage or building like a lot of others on here. And, as before, it would have been so costly again, especially with material costs doubling or more :shock: on some wood products and the shortage of other material. :frightened:

So, the next best thing was to go this way for us. Except for not building the shell as done with teardrops. Still have to build everything else that goes in it. Plan out and do all the electric, AC and DC. That can take a lot of planning. :thinking: This project is self-contained so it works for me. Weatherproof, when I'm finished for the evening or day. I close the doors and it sets outside.
Some of these little vans are quite pricey. Though, if you shop around and not in a hurry. They are available. And I believe just the right size if done right inside. Plenty of room for everything for a fishing trip. Or just to get away in a hurry.
When they talk about tornadoes maybe in the area. Be great to have something to get away in. (Not staying in a travel trailer or anything in the path of one of those). Been there, Done that....

Plywood storage area boxes roughed in. Top plywood cut to check sizing. The 2 top pieces to be hinged in the middle, for easy access from either side of the van. Seats were put in the best position to be comfortable and leaving room for them to be adjusted. Which accomplishes 2 things, Top longer than the boxes, adds just enough length for the full-size mattress. And allows for storage between the boxes and back of the seats.

Pictures show the tri-fold mattress. Folded and laying in the back under the upper cabinets. Plenty of room for it. (Left click pictures to enlarge them).

0027.jpg
0027.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 374 times

0026.jpg
0026.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 374 times

No Baltic birch to be had in several counties here in Texas. Or cost 3 times what it did before Covid took over. So I'm using 1/2" BC ply, and could only find it in 4' x 4' sheets.. It will work good after sanding it and coating it all with spar urethane. Will thin it out for the first 2 coats, then full strength for the last coat.

Tri-fold mattress extended: fits perfect.. :applause: :awesome:

0028.jpg
0028.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:52 pm

We did figure out, with the mattress fully extended. It works better if the front seats are tilted forward.. plus leaves a little more room for the pillows.
Sometimes, because of my age and the abuse my body has taken over the years. I have to sleep propped up sometimes. And the seats being tilted also allows for this position... a win, win...

Plenty of room for 2 adults, to sleep comfortable. Easy access from both side doors. Don't have to crawl over each other to get in bed or out.

0029.jpg
0029.jpg (106.16 KiB) Viewed 354 times

0030.jpg
0030.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Mattress folds up easy to allow access to the compartments under it.
A spring-loaded tension curtain rod works across the front, it tensions in place up above the seats, and the curtain drapes over the front of the seats creating plenty of privacy for the back of the van..

167985 167986

Not to stress the tension rod out to much with heavy drapes. (This rod is very light weight). My better half came up with the idea of cutting a sheet in half, slitting the end of the hem pocket. And it slid right on the rod. Very light weight. Sheet slides to passenger side and gathers, held in place with an elastic ponytail holder. The old "KISS" solution here
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 am

Installed the electrical panel under the upper cabinets. It contains the voltmeter for the house battery, GFI for the AC, dual USB sharge staion outlet, 2 toggle switches, 1 for the power panel, 1 for the interior amber lights under the cabinet.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from the forum, for information to help out with the solar panels I'd like to put on top of the van. Which ones are the best? what size I should buy?

Would something like this work with my battery, and for what I need? To keep the battery topped off all the time?

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocryst ... 05-20&th=1

What is the difference between a PWM Controller and a MPPT Controller?

(Battery I purchased, is a Diehard Platinum H8 AGM 95 amp hours).
I use a battery charger now to keep the battery topped off with a charge. Only when needed.

167991 167990

This battery box sits right behind the front seat of the van, compartment under the bed platform.. along with the fuse panel. A master on and off switch will be mounted on the outside of the compartment just inside the van door.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:31 pm

I have enjoyed watching your build. I like what you have been doing. :thumbsup:

However, I am sorry to say that that battery is designed for use as a “starter” battery to start a vehicle and is not a deep cycle battery. It will not last long in typical off grid use. :cry:

If you could return the battery for a refund that would be good. Then you could buy a deep cycle battery.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I have enjoyed watching your build. I like what you have been doing. :thumbsup:

However, I am sorry to say that that battery is designed for use as a “starter” battery to start a vehicle and is not a deep cycle battery. It will not last long in typical off grid use. :cry:

If you could return the battery for a refund that would be good. Then you could buy a deep cycle battery.

Thanks for the thumbs up. And the information. I've had the battery too long to take it back. So, need to get by with it for a short time. Then get one that will work with a solar set up..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:29 pm

Before sealing the battery box compartment. I drilled four 1 1/2" holes on one side, towards the top for ventilation. I had bought and put a G**** charger/ maintainer in the compartment to maintain the battery. The charger radiated too much heat, during the use it was needed and intended for.
"I recommend being very careful in using any charger/maintainer inside a battery compartment. DO NOT BUY ONE, HOOK IT TO A BATTERY, PLUG IT IN AND LEAVE IT, THINKING IT WILL WORK RIGHT", the heat had radiated through the 1/2" plywood it was attached to. And I had folded a piece of aluminum foil several times and placed it between the wood and the charger when attaching it"

After coating all wood and the lids for the compartments with 3 coats spar urethane. Added piano hinges to open them freely. Spring loaded cabinet catches were added to the lids to keep them held down tight and help prevent warping over time because of their size. Having marked where the hinges would be placed, I masked off an area with blue tape to prevent urethane from being applied to that area. Received a piece of leather form my son, to glue down over the hinges to prevent the metal and screws from wearing and tearing the bottom of the mattress when moving it...

168008 168007

While working on the van, my supervisor showed up to check on the job. Her name is Precious.. She's a little feral or stray cat that has adopted us. She sure likes our attention..

20210524_203913.jpg
20210524_203913.jpg (156.08 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 am

Wow, your awesome camper is coming together fast! You'll soon be able to move into it and start a YouTube channel. :lol: Seriously, it looks great.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:45 pm

bdosborn wrote:Wow, your awesome camper is coming together fast! You'll soon be able to move into it and start a YouTube channel. :lol: Seriously, it looks great.
Bruce

Thank you, Bruce, will pass on the youtube though. :lol: too old to live in something this size full time. And a tent is just out of the question now too. This, great for fishing trips or just to get away for a few days. We live in a travel trailer full time. We love it. It has its ups and downs, though, more ups, then downs.:thumbsup: ;)

I had a thought :thinking: the other day that really made me :). the way I have everything designed and mounted in this van, if it would start having major mechanical problems and need to be replaced, everything could be taken out easy enough, and mounted in another similar type of van..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:44 pm

First picture shows back of the upper cabinet, where I have added a truck cargo net, like the one in the link below. It can be used for extra clothes. These cargo nets are very strong and hold a lot. And eliminate having to add more weight for wood shelves or cabinets. Would also make a great addition inside a teardrop where weight and size are considered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ ... UTF8&psc=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next picture shows the no frills shore power attachment. A power strip, connected to the shore power outlet. There's also an AC wire running under the upper cabinet to the GFI on the electrical panel.
The small 4" amber light under the cabinet is 1 of 2 interior lights. I used amber here to eliminate the collection of flying bugs when in use. So far, this works like expected.

After all electrical AC and DC is finished. The area where the electrical strip is will be closed in at a later date. And insulation will be added to the van wall both sides. And closed in with beadboard, leaving the end facing the doors of the van open, to be used for extra storage. Bath towels and such. Taking advantage of all areas possible for storage.

I checked in on another thread about a simple solar system for this van.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74369

And came away with a lot of good information. Everyone is always so helpful on this forum..
So, if you have questions, search through the posts and topics and ask those that came here before you.
Members like Shadow Catcher memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8503, Tony Latham memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19140 to mention just a couple, way too many to mention them all.. But they have been on here for years. They have done it or seen it done. Know if it works or if it doesn't..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:09 pm

bdosborn wrote:Wow, your awesome camper is coming together fast! You'll soon be able to move into it and start a YouTube channel. :lol: Seriously, it looks great.
Bruce

Bruce, didn't I remember from somewhere that you were working on a Ford Van?
I just looked back at your photos. And saw a couple pics.
Did you continue with it, and I just missed the build?
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:28 pm

Still working on it, I just haven't started a thread on it yet. I'm about done with the metal work I needed so hopefully it will go a little faster now. I'm not a good metal worker. :(
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:31 pm

bdosborn wrote:Still working on it, I just haven't started a thread on it yet. I'm about done with the metal work I needed so hopefully it will go a little faster now. I'm not a good metal worker. :(
Bruce

ok, Thanks for the reply Bruce.
Saw, yours is a tall extended version. :thumbsup: Wish I could have found one like that when we found ours.
As for metal, I can do it. Used to do some metal work on a farm (ranch). And fabricate metal jewelry display cases along with the wood ones for a company I worked for. Just not one of my favorite pass times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For our little van. Next need to work on the top of this van, mainly just get rid of the rust that's showing up. Seems, the earlier years of vans were bad about the rust on top. At least here in Texas that I've seen. Have to get it all sanded down, cleaned, primed and painted before mounting the solar panels I've ordered.
Woke up to it rainy, then turned to sleet for a while this morning. Just drizzling rain off and on now. Temp is 46' not bad if I had a garage to work in. So, no working outside today.

Not complaining by any means.
I do have a great shop in an 8' x 20' Conex box with no leaks. They make nice shops if you have the room for them. Was worried about 8' not being wide enough. :roll: But haven't had any problems working on anything yet. If I need more room, I set up a set of sawhorses outside and with a EZ up canopy if going to rain. Table saw, chop saw on stand and everything else setup in it. Do need to purchase a welder again.

Researching and :thinking: running everything about the solar system through my head and making notes, while, waiting for the rain to stop. Where and how to mount the panels? Which route to run the wiring? Where to mount the controller? :NC
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals