Pine’s Teardrop build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Pine’s Teardrop build

Postby nrhmaine » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:16 pm

Added more exterior stuff, because it’s fun and straightforward.

Then today I finally quit procrastinating on the galley hatch.

Dadoed, Epoxied, screwed, stapled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Pine’s Teardrop build

Postby nrhmaine » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 pm

The Hatch continues

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nrhmaine » Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:27 pm

Well, she’s done! (For now anyways)

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nrhmaine » Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Drawers and small cabinet door to be added under the counter, but for this season, we’ll just use some bins under there.

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FischAutoTechGarten » Wed Aug 21, 2024 4:36 pm

Wow, you folks are not novices... The fit and finish is incredible.
FischAutoTechGarten
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:59 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up! VERY nice! Looks professional.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nrhmaine » Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:01 pm

Thanks!! It’s been a big undertaking, but we’re really pleased with the results!
Time to take it camping…

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nrhmaine » Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:21 pm

1550 pounds, with full tanks and most equipment onboard!
It’s a fairly big tear, 62” wide x 10’ long, and about 4.5 feet tall interior, so I thought it was going to be closer to 2000#

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Pine’s Teardrop build

Postby nrhmaine » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:02 pm

Just spent 7 nights in a row in the new teardrop, out in the north Maine woods (5 for work, and 2 for fun with the wife)

This thing is great!!!

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nrhmaine » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:20 pm

Mostly nice surprises after the first 7 nights.

•The 100w folding solar panels have zero problems keeping up with the 12V cooler and fan. It was a sunny week, but I never dropped below 75% on the 100ah battery. A few days without sun shouldn't be a problem.

•The ventilation is great. Had one night in the 30s and the warmest night probably in the mid-50s. All very comfortable and easy to adjust air flow and temp. We'll probably put a small 12v car heater in the cabin for cold mornings, but it's not necessary for sleeping (using a down comforter), just for coziness when using the cabin for lounging.

•The sink is outstanding. Super convenient. I'm glad I went that direction. 10g was just enough for drinking, dishes and cooking for the 5 day trip. (Occasionally heated river water for dishes, but mostly just went off the tank for everything.

•Having the mattress that folds into a couch, with a small table that sets up, was really nice during my work trip (running a 6 day WW kayak course for a freshman orientation wilderness trip). It allowed me to retreat to the camper in the evening, write a letter, plan for the next day, go through pictures, and give the students their space to commune and bond out around the fire.

•I chose 15" wheels for the aesthetics, mostly, but I'm glad I went that big for ride quality. Did about 100 miles on rough logging roads last week, and the trailer rode great. I think the larger diameter wheels helped with washboard and potholes, and gave a little more cushion. And the torsion axle seems to give a smooth ride.

Things that need some attention -

•The Camp Chef oven and stove are great, but I wonder if it's getting enough fuel pressure. It seems slow. I'm using the right regulator, but it's on the bottle in the tongue box, and I have a 20 foot propane line that goes back to the stove. Perhaps there's too much pressure loss on that long hose run, on the low pressure side of the regulator. I plan to investigate solutions, like perhaps putting the regulator on the stove-end of the run? Or putting a higher pressure regulator on the bottle end of the hose, and the correct pressure regulator closer to the stove. (Any expertise or experience here would be appreciated.)

•I think I'll go up to a full-size spare, after I start to see how capable this thing is off-road - will likely mean I'll do more back-country trips with it, and a full-size spare would be smarter than the 12" rim I have now.

•The galley latch rods need a low-friction mount, because they're catching on the metal guides that came with the latch, and they're quite hard to open.

Most of all, I'm over the moon! This thing is awesome!

Nate
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:11 pm

Congratulations on your successful first camping trip! :vroom:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby FischAutoTechGarten » Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:47 pm

This is a spectacular camper. Attention to detail and quality of the craftsmenship are worthy of imitation! Being a relatively new member to the forums (well I was a member a very long time ago, but with a more tiny house focus), I'm going to have to go back and look at some of these build threads.

(I do remember the 'caboose tiny home and the heartily fought legal battle' thread.)
FischAutoTechGarten
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nrhmaine » Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:33 pm

Thanks!
I’m off working for a bit, so my wife is going to spend two nights in the teardrop with our dog this weekend. I’m a little jealous!

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:46 pm

Some of our California tiny trailer people are on a trip, caravaning across country, including a leaf-peeping visit to Maine to see the fall colors this month. I hope you've had some trees turning in September. (October might have been better...Dunno.) I think they are on their way back this way, now.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nrhmaine » Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:33 am

S. Heisley wrote:Some of our California tiny trailer people are on a trip, caravaning across country, including a leaf-peeping visit to Maine to see the fall colors this month. I hope you've had some trees turning in September. (October might have been better...Dunno.) I think they are on their way back this way, now.
It’s been a beautiful stretch of weather in September up here! Great time for a trip. Colors depend on which part of the state this time of year. We’re starting to get some color in northern and western Maine, but the coast is pretty green. Typically early October is peak leaf-peeping season.

nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals