Vintage Inspired travel Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Vintage Inspired travel Trailer

Postby Bezoar » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:44 pm

The teak sounds amazing, but as you said it would add a lot of weight. I bought a sheet of vinyl flooring from Menards - one of the big box stores may have the checkerboard you are looking for at a lot less weight.
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Re: Vintage Inspired travel Trailer

Postby terrymorse » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:10 pm

RBB wrote:I need to make some key design decisions, mainly... FLOOR.
We have a few boxes of TEAK hardwood floor that we could use. I am worried about weight with this option... it is nearly 250lbs for the floor if we use the teak hardwood.
The other option is commercial grade linoleum tiles... I like the black and white checkered look... this costs more (as the teak is FREE) but it weights less!

Open to suggestions!

Suggestion it is, then.

When we were deciding on flooring for our Little Guy 5-Wide, I heard several folks recommending against tiles or planks, which can separate from the flexing that a trailer does. Also, don't adhere the flooring directly to the plywood sub floor, as it needs to move with the flexing trailer. The prevalent recommendation was to use a floating single sheet, which would not separate or bubble from flexing.

We went with a piece of remnant vinyl sheet flooring from Home Depot -- $20, with foam underlayment underneath.
terrymorse
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals