Mike, do you have a good sauerbraten recipe?

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Postby cccamper » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am

S. Heisley wrote:'e' wrote:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/sauerbraten-recipe

Look at this one. They have a sauerbraten spice to buy to include in the marinade but it looks reallllllly tempting. Pretty easy. And it uses the juniper berries which I love.

Sorry, I didn't see that you found a recipe that you liked. I must've been typing my reply then or something.

If you found one from the Spice House, chances are it will be really good!

Never heard of The Spice House......impressed, though.
I look at 4 or 5 recipes if trying one I've never made. So never too many... Looks GOOD! I made spaetzle once, can't remember the entree'. I do remember everyone was STUFFED.

Am mostly sleeping or going to appts this week. I'm slow to keep up here but AM interested. :thumbsup: Hope to look some more of mine up....if they can be found, this afternoon.

e (you have no idea how i've been starved the last two weeks so this is a bit like tube feeding. better. there you only get nameless food. here i can eat through my brain. oh..well... you know what i mean, hopefully)
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cccamper » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 am

Sharon,
Have never heard of using pine twigs but the juniper berries would have the same basic flavor. I love them. penzeys.com is where I get mine.

Gotta go, THANKS for the recipe!
e
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Here's the recipe that my mom uses...

http://www.bigoven.com/150279-Buttermil ... ecipe.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cccamper » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi!
Found this one MARINATES in BUTTERMILK....German website (American) I've heard of fried chicken that is soaked in buttermilk. Think that's the way they made at Knott's Berry Farm, too.? Lots of southern places I've seen featured on FoodTV.

Wonder if enzymes in the milk help tenderize?? Alton Brown said that lots of things will flavor meat and maybe soften but it's enzymes that actually begin breaking down the fiber. (I may remember this all wrong but that's why they pay me to stay out of the work force!)

It would be fun to make a variation incorporating the buttermilk. Web site at end of recipe... lots more there.

(Sauerbraten auf Norddeutsche Art)
Sauerbraten North German Style, Germanic

3 1/2 to 4 lbs. shoulder of beef
1 quart buttermilk
a few drops of lemon juice

Sauce:
2 cups red wine
2 cups water
1 Tbsp. salt
1 bay leaf
4 or 5 peppercorns
1 Tbsp. vinegar
3 Tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 cups Lebkuchen, broken into bits, or stale gingerbread
1/4 cup raisins

Wash and dry the meat. Place in a deep bowl, cover with the buttermilk and lemon juice, marinate in refrigerator 2 days, turning several times. Remove; wash off the buttermilk.

Place meat in a pot or kettle, add the red wine, water, salt, bay leaf, peppercorns and vinegar. Cook, covered, 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until very tender.

Remove meat. Strain the stock, measuring 3 cups. Melt the butter in saucepan, stir in flour, then slowly stir in the stock, simmer until slightly thickened. Add the Lebkuchen and the raisins, cook until sauce is thickened. Add sugar to taste, if desired.

Serve with potato dumplings and red cabbage.

http://www.germancorner.com/recipes/S/sauerbraten_north_german_style.html

Needs to get chilly before I can make this.

Thanks for this input!

e
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cccamper » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 pm

mikeschn wrote:Here's the recipe that my mom uses...

http://www.bigoven.com/150279-Buttermil ... ecipe.html

Mike...

That looks good! No ginger.(usually cookies) .. that's was a given in the recipes I have seen before. hmmm But regional cooking is specific. My brother in CA said when they visited a "living museum" in Norway a couple years ago the lefse was being made with yeast!!!!!!. Well! That's fraud to all of us! :)

e
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:19 am

'e' wrote:

Wonder if enzymes in the milk help tenderize?? Alton Brown said that lots of things will flavor meat and maybe soften but it's enzymes that actually begin breaking down the fiber. (I may remember this all wrong but that's why they pay me to stay out of the work force!)

Yes, with real buttermilk, I believe that's correct. I don't know about all milk or milk products.

FYI: I've been told there is something in some people's religious beliefs about it being a sin to cook a cow in its own milk. I don't think I put too much stock in that but some people do. (I stopped cooking beef in buttermilk after I heard that; so, maybe I put more stock in that than I realize. I became a little squeemish about it.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Laredo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Just MHO, it's highly unlikely the brisket and buttermilk come from the same cow, but yeah there is a prohibition against seething a kid in its' mother's milk in the Old Testament. Exodus 34:26

Buttermilk is a Southern all-purpose tenderizer.

Soak venison in it for tenderness and to remove the strong flavor.

Soak fried chicken in it for moistness (and to tenderize the older chickens that used to be used for fried chicken because they no longer lay eggs reliably, but that may be TMI).

If you're really squeamish about using buttermilk, try citrus juices instead (pineapple, lime, or lemon are all good and won't over-flavor the meat too much).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 pm

Laredo wrote:If you're really squeamish about using buttermilk, .

All you have to do is look at the empty glass. gack!!!! :o
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2