Making Pastrami

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Making Pastrami

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Posted this on the BGE forum, figured somebody here might be interested.

Tried a Pastrami last night for the first time the corned beef briskets are on sale for St Patrick's Day so now is as good a time as any to try it. I followed thirdeye's method posted on his site. Even though I soaked it for a little over 12hrs, it was a bit saltier than I'd like. It was also a bit drier than I'd like. That being said, it was still good I probably just have to tweak my process in a bit. I'm also my worst critic.

Soaking in the water. Probably changed the water about 4 or 5 times during the 12hrs.

Out of the water waiting for the rub.

Caked the rub on nice and thick

Put it on the LBGE with a water pan underneath fat cap up. Set it to 220.

The rub ingredients. Probably could have used higher quality, but this was an experiment.

Pulled it at 170, maybe should have pulled at 160. I wrapped it foil and let it rest for an hour.

Sliced up, it's nice to have a sharp knife.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby brewwagon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:36 pm

That looks awesome. Hows the taste, did you hit the right seasonings? Thats the beauty of making it you can make it taste the way you want.
I've been wanting to try corned beef or pastrami. I've made bacon from pork bellies, its amazing how simple that is. Its all just wait time. Salt and Sugar you pork belly and let it sit in the fridge for a week. Then you smoke it till it gets to 150 degF.

I'll have to try the pastrami. Aint nothin like a good pastrami sandwich with homemade Russian dressing.
brewwagon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:10 pm

That looks delicious!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2