Enchilada Casserole

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Enchilada Casserole

Postby cuyeda » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:41 am

Enchilada Casserole

This has been a hit everytime I make it. It was passed along from another forum, but wanted to give credit to the post. A tried and true hit worth an entry into the cookbook 2.

cuyeda wrote:
Outpost Jim wrote:I got this recipe from the "Field Guide to Dutch Oven Cooking" compiled by IDOS and published by Lodge MFG Co. Submitted by Kristi Myers and Lisa Blackett. This is a good camp recipe!

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
2 lbs ground beef
1 10oz can Tomato Soup
2 10oz cans enchilada sauce
3/4 lb shredded cheddar cheese
8 flour tortillas
1 cup sour cream

Cook ground beef and onion in a 12" Dutch Oven. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl. Stir in the soup and enchilada sauce. Pour enough sauce into Dutch oven for 1/4" layer. Cover this mixture with a layer of tortillas, tearing to fit. Cover tortillas with 1/4 lb (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat layers until all mixture is used. Top with cheese. Place lid on Dutch oven and bake (8 coals bottom - 18 top) for 35-40 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling and heated through. Serve with sour cream.

Different grades of enchilada sauce are available (i.e. mild, medium, hot) or you could add green chiles or jalapeno's.

Outpost Jim,

I am passing on some of the kudos I got after making this for the last camp potluck. Thanks for posting the recipe! Several people had a few good words for the dish. I overheard someone say they were tipped off down the chow line to "get some of that enchilada casserole". It was easy to make, and seems to be crowd pleaser. :t_up:

Cajun_1,
After cooking the ground beef and onions, I drained most of it before mixing in the sauce.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Good one, Cliff!! Looks easy and most of all, tasty. Thanks for posting it!!

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:51 pm

I gotta try that this weekend! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cuyeda » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:57 pm

Oh, and one last tip... This is important... If you are bringing this to a potluck, and unless you are the very first person in line, scoop out your portions for you and the better half before you set it down on the table!

If you don't, by the time your reach your DO, it will be GONE! Ask me how I know... twice! From then on, I always scoop our share out from the moment I lay it down on the table. :lol:
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2