$125,000 for a vintage trailer

...if you find a Teardrop or Tiny Travel Trailer, on Ebay, craigslist, etc, post it here.........

$125,000 for a vintage trailer

Postby mvperini » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 pm

here is one on ebay for the small buy it now price for $125,000.00 :shock: :shock: with the immediate deposit of US $500.00 required :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1938-Vin ... 1c18e7a23c

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Boy, am I glad I live to far away. Tanya would shoot me. :phew:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:40 am

What a wonderful trailer!...my thing is, and I'm no expert by any means but do have to work with colors on a day to day basis...I just don't see black red and white as typical of '38 design in a trailer. Deco design did use those colors, but not on something like a trailer. Trailers weren't that flashy/trendy at that period, they were more conservative to appeal to a larger audience.

Only the real wild model/upscale show homes etc...had that color combo on an interior. Show me any correct period vehicle with that paint/ interior/fabric combo in it! The fabric patterns/colors aren't period correct, but what do I know, I'm probably all wrong. I'm betting red Naugahyde wasn't available in '38.

Just my opinion, but if you're going to do up a trailer like that in that kind of dollar value....get a designer to help you out on the color/ interior decor/ stitching techniques/period fabrics etc... and document their participation.
It's a great trailer, but I think they cut some corners on some of the period correct decor. Just my opinion...others may argue it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 am

doug hodder wrote:What a wonderful trailer!...my thing is, and I'm no expert by any means but do have to work with colors on a day to day basis...I just don't see black red and white as typical of '38 design in a trailer. Deco design did use those colors, but not on something like a trailer. Trailers weren't that flashy/trendy at that period, they were more conservative to appeal to a larger audience.

Only the real wild model/upscale show homes etc...had that color combo on an interior. Show me any correct period vehicle with that paint/ interior/fabric combo in it! The fabric patterns/colors aren't period correct, but what do I know, I'm probably all wrong. I'm betting red Naugahyde wasn't available in '38.
Just my opinion, but if you're going to do up a trailer like that in that kind of dollar value....get a designer to help you out on the color/ interior decor/ stitching techniques/period fabrics etc... and document their participation.
It's a great trailer, but I think they cut some corners on some of the period correct decor. Just my opinion...others may argue it. Doug

Probably a lot of truth in the statement above. However:

Naugahyde Company. Its name, first used as a trademark in 1936.

Source for above statement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde

History of Naugahyde: http://www.naugahyde.com/history.html

Since the above historical document reports that Naugas first arrived on the American continent in 1778, it is entirely possible and probably very likely that Red Naugahyde was availble prior to the material being trademarked nearly a century and a half later. Still Naugahyde was trademarked nearly two years before 1938, the date in question in this current pendantic debate.

I may be wrong but my facts and sources are irrefutable.

More pendantic debate later!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 am

Gus...you may be correct, a few years here or there who knows. I don't know when the breeding techniques created the true red Nauga's for material production. Like I say...I'm no expert on it all. By '38 the albino and true blacks were well bred and common commercially. It may be that the reds were bred by then, but I have no reference...I dunno fer sure... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

naugas

Postby mvperini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

I have been looking at starting a side business and this sounds great, but
can't find them anywhere and I'd like to start my own Nauga farm. No one else is doing it. Did they get wiped out in the 70's? Are there really orange nauga's or do they somehow stain the hide. I would love to bring back naugahyde and I think it would be very profitable. I have plenty of land and am also looking for investors if anyone is interested.
If any one can point me in the right direction to get the ball rolling, it would be a big help :thumbsup:

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby NathanL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Imagine towing that in 1938 with a pre war vehicle. A flat head Ford for power, drum brakes all around, 4" wide tires etc...
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Doug, I have seen that red and black color combination on quite a few pre-war luxury cars, such as Duesenberg, Packard and Cadillac. Those cars were often ordered with paint an trim done to customer specifications.

That trailer was quite possibly ordered by a customer, and painted to the customer's request. The same may be the case with the decor.

CD :thinking:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 am

CD....you're probably right, like I mentioned, the really upscale designer homes etc had that type of decor. Somehow to me on this trailer, it just sort of looks really "dineresque" and not so much elegant. Just my opinions though. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: $125,000 for a vintage trailer

Postby happy_camper » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:17 pm

mvperini wrote:here is one on ebay for the small buy it now price for $125,000.00 :shock: :shock: with the immediate deposit of US $500.00 required :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1938-Vin ... 1c18e7a23c

Mike

Should've made him an offer; it sold for $45,000.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein
"Mechanical difficulties with language are the outcome of internal difficulties with thought." — Elizabeth Bowen
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!" — William Shakespeare
"It ain't about the numbers, I can count to five just like you'se guys" — Six Finger Chatowski
happy_camper
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:58 pm

And has been relisted, buyers score was 0.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:14 pm

doug hodder wrote:CD....you're probably right, like I mentioned, the really upscale designer homes etc had that type of decor. Somehow to me on this trailer, it just sort of looks really "dineresque" and not so much elegant. Just my opinions though. Doug

It does seem to have multiple personalities. Some elements of the interior are just plain tacky, IMO.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2KIRKS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:41 pm

too bad they're asking $125,000...i can only afford $124,000.
nites camped 2012 - 1
nites camped 2011 - 0
nites camped 2010 - 21
nites camped 2009 - 35
2KIRKS
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm

2KIRKS wrote:too bad they're asking $125,000...i can only afford $124,000.

With that money, it could be yours. Make him an offer. He already sold it for $45,000 and has relisted it because of buyer problems. So go for it. But your probably just blowing smoke. ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to For Sale(not mine)