Teardrop Trailer - $3500 (Milliken)

...if you find a Teardrop or Tiny Travel Trailer, on Ebay, craigslist, etc, post it here.........

Teardrop Trailer - $3500 (Milliken)

Postby chimpta » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 am

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/4341336678.html

I am new to the forum. The idea of making my own TD is scary and exciting at the same time. This one is another option for me. What do the experts think of this TD, the features and price. Oak cabinets look heavy. Would prefer as light a TD as reasonable. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Teardrop Trailer - $3500 (Milliken)

Postby Racquetman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am

Looks good as long as your not too tall or too wide! Also check out the weight on it, sounds like you have some concerns about that.
Racquetman
Teardrop Master

Postby ssrjim » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Woodies require more maintenance, just an FYI to think about .
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby citylights » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:00 pm

If it is constructed as good as it looks.... That is a good price. The parts, trailer, and hardware in it would cost that much.

Too bad it is a 4 wide. Much more desirable as a 5 wide. I would wait for a 5 wide to come up. I like the extra space.
citylights
500 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:53 pm

For one person a 4 wide is ok, I love mine an wouldn't want a wider one. Most people seem to prefer the 5.
It looks like a nice tear for the price if you don't mind the wood maintenance.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi and welcome to teardrops!

The trailer looks nice, and the price is good if that is exactly what you are looking for, but if you aren't 100% sure what you want, or need, you should pass.

Jumping in without knowing will work, but can be very expensive if you buy and resell several trailers while you decide what you want and need...

Tell us more about yourself; what are you trying to get out of camping, how many people, how large, need hot water, what features are important, have a garage, etc, etc? :thinking:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Of course you will have to title it pay sales tax and fees bringing the price up to about 4000, but it is hard to believe that you couldn't resell that for that price if you don't like it. Just be sure whoever is camping with you likes to sleep close. Also I just noticed there is no roof vent/fan. How does it get air circulation? First post I ever rwad here was an airtight trailer can kill you in your sleep.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 pm

The price looks good. It is attractive, but the bed is both narrow and short. If you camp alone and are 5' 10" or under you will fit. If you camp with someone else you better really love them. Resale on a 4 wide is harder and you have to find a shorter buyer.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Verna » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:53 am

Check out Prohandyman's '46 kit. His price is $4,000 and he'll deliver. Just a different one to look at.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby chimpta » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am

Now I see why this forum has such a great reputation. Thanks for all the help. A bit more about myself. It is just my wife and I and we are both very short and thin. 5"5" and under. A 5' wide does sound nice though. We do have a jeep but I would love to be able to pull it with my '94 4 cyl Mazda MX-6. We live in Colorado and love the mountains. This Milliken TD is not insulated and that concerns me. I would like to be able to camp in cold weather. I just retired though and would love the freedom to head out to any destination. No plans at this time for a very extended trip. We are a day trip to Utah and Wyoming. That's a place to try out TD camping.

I appreciate John's suggestion to wait for a 5' wide. I can wait and would rather not make a mistake. Yes Rob I am not sure and jumping in might not be the best plan. I hope to take a look at the TD this weekend and at the very least it will be a learning experience. I am used to tent camping. Kind of tired of being kept awake with the tent flapping in the wind. I love the idea of a real bed (my wife pretty much demands it now) and a hard body between me and the elements.

I am ok with simple. The galley can be simple without a sink or hot water. I have a garage but would rather have my car in it.

Good catch be_a_jayhawk. Circulation is critical. The roof vent would have to be added. Verna I did look at the '46 kit. Sweet.

I have to learn more about the upkeep of a wood TD. I prefer a natural non-metallic TD, at this point anyway. I have been reading quite a bit here about building my own. I have little woodworking experience and few tools. But I have time and live within a few miles of Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Lowe's. As I look through the builds I get to a point where it looks a bit overwhelming. I am thankful that so much support and information are available here. Thanks everyone.
Mark
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:07 pm

I didn't see if it had one door or two (maybe I missed that)
I love my 4 wide for just me. I can see where it would be a bit slim for two adults. The one thing I wish mine had was two doors, something else to think about.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Mark,

Nothing wrong with buying one already done.
Some of us like building, some like camping, and some like both! :thumbsup:
If you really prefer to keep your garage for the car and other things, you should pass on a wood trailer.
Sunlight as well as wet weather will trash the finish pretty fast (think sand and revarnish 1-2 times a year).
And that isn't counting what happens if the finish fails, or a seam opens up un noticed (think complete loss).
Hail, tree branches, and other outdoor hazards are a lot harder on wood than aluminum, properly backed.
If it is just the look you are after, the new vinyl graphics might be an okay substitute?
I have a wood bodied trailer. Looks nice, but is a lot of extra work and sometimes worry.
If you just want to go on carefree trips, choose a style/exterior that will stand up and be easy to care for.
If you live and camp in the Colorado/Utah/Wyoming area, a hard exterior surface will hold up better to gravel/rock roads, sand, etc.

Insulation in the ceiling helps a lot, in the sidewalls helps too, but not as much.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Return to For Sale(not mine)