Tear Drop Trailer - $850 (Brighton, CO)

...if you find a Teardrop or Tiny Travel Trailer, on Ebay, craigslist, etc, post it here.........

Postby chimpta » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 am

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4358763702.html

This just came up near by. I want a TD. Obsessing over it. :? Maybe you can relate? I was moving in the direction of my own build. My wife wants me to save money and time and buy a used one since I never build anything like this. She may have a point. We have a week off in mid March and could go to Utah. :D We are both small and live in Colorado. Can this work? I emailed the seller trying to get more info. There is so little in the ad. I would certainly want to modify it but this could give me a head start and get me out camping in a couple of weeks.

BTW if I did do a build I wasn't looking for a high end TD. I can see there is no roof vent, no galley, etc. What do you think? What would be needed to make this into a comfy, fun TD?
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tear Drop Trailer - $850 (Brighton, CO)

Postby chimpta » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:55 am

I forgot to mention I am very concerned about this trailer leaking. I did ask and will see what kind of response I get back. Quite a seam along the roof. If it does leak can it be fixed without removing the roof skin?
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rockinrobin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

A very detailed " Pre Purchase Inspection " including taking a cardboard to lay on under the trailer with a flashlight and mirror might save some grief later on. Any staining or deteriorated wood raises a red flag. I have owned one trailer with a vent fan on top, and two with no fan on top. That would not be a deal breaker for me, if the door windows will open. Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby chimpta » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks Ronny,

I am sooo new to all of this. My knowledge is limited to how many posts I have read here. I will look for any staining or deteriorated wood but any other suggestions would be so much appreciated. What should I look for in the trailer itself.

I got some more details from the seller. I'll get the dimensions tonight.

The trailer is tight with no leaks. My wife and I have camped in it and love it. Can't any more for medical reasons.
There is wiring for lights and 110v wiring for a "shore line."
There is also a cubby with shelves at rear end.
The interior just basically needs paneling and a floor installed.
The tires and wheel bearings are all good.
There are no issues with it other than some interior finishing.
Yes, both doors have windows with screens that open for ventilation.
The other two dark brown doors are large storage compartments that lock.
The roof is metal, but I am not positive whether it is aluminum - most likely it is.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mark
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jonw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Here's my 2 cents: It's a good deal for $850, even if you have to put some work and $$$ into it to add roof molding, or whatever if it leaks. If it has already leaked you might be able to see this since the inside i unfinished.

So it you like the shape and other features of it, it's a long way towards having a finished TD for the money.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Racquetman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I agree, its worth the gamble, and it can be fixed up, it will get you on the road soon, with a small investment
Racquetman
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:51 pm

You should ask if the seller/builder welded the trailer together?
If they did, is he a pro welder?
If so, great, if not, run.
If it is a prebuilt trailer that is good too. The wheels are the correct proportion to the trailer (good) but not common on off the shelf trailers.
The roof, if a standing seam design, along with the overlap on the sides doesn't scream "leaker" though the tons of screws or nails holding it will cause issues over time.
If it is just overlapped...if they used a good sealer and it is backed by spars it will probably be okay, if they forgot sealer you can still take it apart and re-do it for not much money, just a bit of time.
If you want to take a chance, the price is good.
You should figure to double it though to $1700 for repairs, re-do's, personalizing, etc. (no fancy galley included...)
Still not a bad price if you can live with the obvious statement it makes.
If you are someone who wants to show it off, and or worries over what other people think, then you should pass.

My opinion.
Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby citylights » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:39 pm

My advice, pass! That one screams problems to me. I don't see a galley hatch, one of the doors is obviously sprung and warped. There are much better teardrops that come up for sale. Just wait for it.

Oh, heck, for $850 it is worth it for the parts, as long as the trailer is straight. But I would totally strip it down and rebuild it.
citylights
500 Club

Postby chimpta » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks everyone. I learn a lot from your suggestions.
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Return to For Sale(not mine)