New Design - RetroBox

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Postby stomperxj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:23 am

Well I was messing with the Retrobox again. I put more appropriate looking dog dish hubcaps and trim rings on it, put an inside skin on it and put roof spars in plus a few other small things...

stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:45 am

Nice modelling.

Please don't build any tongues like that. The gusset you've added in the centre of the tube is probably weakening the tongue, not strengthening it - it's pressing up and down on the middle of a flat face and it will start cracks at the tips of the gusset. If you added the gussets as pairs, one in line with each side face of the tube (ie, four in all, for two 'kinks') then you would make the joints stronger.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Wow!

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:03 am

That looks pretty frigging cool. I ll take a copy of the design. [email protected]. I really like the use of space. You could probaly get a fold out bunk in there as well to sleep 4
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 am

That was all done in Sketchup? :shock: Blimey! I'd love to be able to do it like that... think I better start practising.

Still prefer the SawTooth design... but very nice designing :applause:

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:48 am

angib wrote:Nice modelling.

Please don't build any tongues like that. The gusset you've added in the centre of the tube is probably weakening the tongue, not strengthening it - it's pressing up and down on the middle of a flat face and it will start cracks at the tips of the gusset. If you added the gussets as pairs, one in line with each side face of the tube (ie, four in all, for two 'kinks') then you would make the joints stronger.

Andrew

Thanks for the concern Andrew. Those gussets were added at the beginning and I never deleted them. I probably wouldn't put any gussets on it and just use a heavier wall thickness on the tube or bend a tube up for the tongue

Jeeper92 wrote:That looks pretty frigging cool. I ll take a copy of the design. [email protected]. I really like the use of space. You could probaly get a fold out bunk in there as well to sleep 4

Mail sent

Dewi wrote:That was all done in Sketchup? :shock: Blimey! I'd love to be able to do it like that... think I better start practising.
Still prefer the SawTooth design... but very nice designing :applause:
Cheers, Dewi

Its all drawn in Autocad and just rendered in sketchup... Thanks Dewi
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:37 pm

stomperxj wrote:Its all drawn in Autocad and just rendered in sketchup... Thanks Dewi

How do you do that? Do you add part attributes in Autocad (materials, etc) or do that in Sketchup?

The rendering in Sketchup does seem much better than I have managed in TurboCad, so I'd be interested to try doing it this way.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby stomperxj » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:42 pm

angib wrote:How do you do that? Do you add part attributes in Autocad (materials, etc) or do that in Sketchup?

The rendering in Sketchup does seem much better than I have managed in TurboCad, so I'd be interested to try doing it this way.

Andrew

No its all layer based. If you have your layer window open in Sketchup, at the top right there is a button. Select "color by layer".

Then you can click on the color of whatever layer you want and select an image as your color. You can also just assign a plain color too.

Then you can scale it appropriately. I found a good picture of plywood that i use for all my wood components.

I dont know what native format turbo cad is in but you can import DXF and DWG files into sketchup...

Hope that helps...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves