My canned ham clone

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

My canned ham clone

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:44 am

For newer members, I documented a canned ham scratch build project start to finish. If you can't find what you want, get some rough dimensions and ideas from an existing one, modify it to suit your needs and have at it. Not much more difficult than a tear, just takes more time and effort to do it. Doug

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32236

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby lstyles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi Doug,
I remember you from the Glen-L site! I am finishing up my malahini but am waiting for better weather to do the painting and finishing touches. Meanwhile I am thinking of doing a canned ham like yours. I looked through your build and I have a couple of questions:
1) How big of wheels did you use?
2) What was your final weight? I am planning a couple of more amenities than you so want to try and see if I can figure an approximate weight.
3) What were the dimensions of your trailer? Frame without tongue?
4) Did you just use plywood on sides or is there a sandwich layer in there I missed?
My trailer won't be garage kept like yours so probably will just go higher to get inside height instead of dropped floor (though I really like what you did).
thanks,
Lori
lstyles
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mike Angeles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Love it Doug, I was wondering about #4 as well. Where do you find the time....

Thanks,
Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:34 am

Lori, I used the 185 75R14's from Coker tire...the smallest wide whitewall I could get mounted on an old Mopar 14" wheel. Weight is 1420#, 10'8" x 6'6" cabin size, walls are solid ply. Good luck on the Malahini!

Mike...I still own #4 too. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mike Angeles » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:31 pm

Doug, I was referring to 4) in Lori's post above, On how you constructed the Walls. I couldn't tell from your photos,

Thanks,
Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 am

Having stood in this trailer it has an amazing amount of room lots ot head room. Turquize was a good choice of color because trailers of the 50's and cars most popular color was just that. Is your rambler turquze too. there is one in morro Bay in that color. but the 1955 chevy and ford Tunderbird had that color.

As I left IRG Dave and and a budy passed us with two of his trailers. His new trailer pulled smoothly as it disapeared in to the redwood forest.

Good job Doug.
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 am

hello Doug I was wondering about the demensions of your american voyager and possibly some inside pictures please
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Sorry...didn't see this sooner...interior pics are in my album...somewhere back like page 20 or so. Can't get to it right now as I've got a load of snow in front of that garage. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby droid_ca » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 pm

thanks Doug i had an idea of doing a lowered standie with a similar profile of that one but all my pencilCAD drawings weren't looking so good any tips would be muchly appreciated to get the angles right height VS length front angle curves ect ect or if anyone else knows that would be great too

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Here's what I do....draw up what you want it to look like, most important to me....then figure out how much drop you want on an axle and the size of the wheels/tires to stuff it in the garage. I only have like 6' on the interior....and an 83" garage entrance...I do have to however swap some wheels on it to pull it in and out, or pull most the air out of them. I missed the exact measurement by under 1 inch. Oh well, there is always another project to try on. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby droid_ca » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 pm

thats great thank you so much now back to the drawing board I thought I had everything figured out as for my design but hey we still got snow so nothing is definite until I start building but then plans can still change
thanks again

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves