Getting Ready to Start a Canned Ham

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Getting Ready to Start a Canned Ham

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi, Everyone

I got some Christmas money this year, so I am ready to start this project before I fritter it away!

I have been watching Andrew's thread on a Baby Canned Ham design, have read Donutboy's Retro-Kamper thread, and have searched for and read other threads about both small and large canned hams. In addition, I camped for years during my childhood in a tent-top trailer my grandfather built in the 1940s, so that has influenced my ideas on how minimalist I can go.

I had a chance to measure the poor old tent trailer this past weekend. It was a frameless trailer (no longer sound), 64 inches wide and 96 inches long, 1/2" ply throughout, with a rear entry and galley drawers that pulled out to the rear. The drawers rolled under the sleeping benches, which were 23-24 inches wide, leaving about 18 inches in the aisle. 32 inch wide wings folded out to the sides. (Mind you, with a family of 5, one kid always slept in the aisle at night, which made for a narrow "bunk".) We had a table to set up over the aisle, but rarely used it, as it was a bit tight (ya think??). But it was useful on rainy days. No porta-potty, no inside galley, no closet but lots of storage under the benches beyond where the galley drawers rolled in.

All that information is to assure you I know what I am getting into when I say "minimalist."

As I said, I have been watching the Baby Ham, and also the Puffin, the Retro-Camper, and have been looking at the plans for the Weekend Trailer from the 1946 PopSci. I'm thinking of squaring off the back end and making it rear entry with the galley drawers I grew up with, puting an awning on the back for cover from rain and sun. The benches inside don't need to be cot-depth, as I plan to have a lengthwise (narrow) dinette converting to a queen bed and one lengthwise bunk overhead. We'll be using the camper for mostly summer/early fall weekends, cool alpine camping, so I'm not particularly worried about insulating and won't need an AC. We'll use a Coleman stove, an icebox in the back of the car, and will usually camp in national and state parks with privies and water, no showers, no electricity. We'll also camp in some unimproved areas in the parks, but will use a 5 gal jug for water, rather than a built-in tank. For those trips we'll take a bucket porta-pot and tent. Lighting will be LEDs and a battery, charging the battery between trips.

So, here is my first question. How wide can I build on the HF 4x8 trailer. Can I go 62-64 inches? And if I can keep the weight around 1000 # can I stay with the 12 inch tires, or do I need to use something bigger?

Okay, that's the plan. I know I'm crazy. Talk me down. :D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Cathrine,

I like your plan. I built my gypsy trailer on a Harbor Freight trailer. Stretched it to 4 X 10. The gypsy was 64" wide over the frame, and could have been a wider. Here's a couple of photos to see how the wheels looked under it. Gypsy trailer weight is 1425# on 12" tires.

HF frame stretched to 10 feet using kit cross members

wheel view with 64" deck over the wheels.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: Getting Ready to Start a Canned Ham

Postby bbarry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Catherine+twins wrote:
So, here is my first question. How wide can I build on the HF 4x8 trailer. Can I go 62-64 inches? And if I can keep the weight around 1000 # can I stay with the 12 inch tires, or do I need to use something bigger?

Okay, that's the plan. I know I'm crazy. Talk me down. :D

Catherine

If you're expecting anybody on here to talk you down, you've come to the wrong place :D Here we egg you on!

I wouldn't worry about the body width over the 4x8 trailer as long as the axle width gives you the wheel placement you want. On Steve's Vardo, the wheels look great inset like that. If you're only going 60ish inches wide, it'd probably be okay as is, but most canned hams are at least 72 inches and there I'd think it could start to look a little goofy with the wheels so far inboard. You can always cut and extend the axle like I did to make my 5ft wide teardrop out of a 4x8 trailer. Just remember that you have to move the spring mounts out as well.
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 am

Well, the HF trailers appear to be on sale, $299 for the 1195 lb capacity model and $399 for the 1720 lb model. My goal is to keep the build around 1000 lbs, but when when we climb in to sleep that adds 300+ pounds. Should I go for the 1720 lb frame?

:o

Yes, I know I'm overthinking this.

Dear daughter is already planning our camping trips for the summer! :lol:

Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 am

Catherine+twins wrote:Well, the HF trailers appear to be on sale, $299 for the 1195 lb capacity model and $399 for the 1720 lb model. My goal is to keep the build around 1000 lbs, but when when we climb in to sleep that adds 300+ pounds. Should I go for the 1720 lb frame?

:o

Yes, I know I'm overthinking this.

Dear daughter is already planning our camping trips for the summer! :lol:

Catherine

Catherine,
It is exciting to see you're about ready to build!

My TD has a custom frame, but my "lumber hauler" trailer is the 1195# HF. Visually there is not much difference between the 1195# model and the 1720# model other than the heavier rated model has 5-bolt wheels and slightly beefier tires. I think the frames are the same for both.

I have used and abused my 1195# HF trailer and it has held up well. I did change out the factory wheel bearings for some heavier rated bearings and I ran individual grounds to all of the lights.

Although it hasn't been a problem for me, and since I still "fold up" my HF trailer from time to time, you may want to consider modifying and extending the tongue as others have done on this board.

All that said, if it were me, I might go with the heavier model just in case your build weight goes up and/or you end up hauling more things inside the camper.

Take care and post lots of pictures.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Okay, the 1720# trailer is in my car as we speak (type). The only minor complication is that I broke my elbow last month, and my twins are only 9 years old 70 and 85 pound weaklings, so unloading is going to be, um, fun. 8)

Maybe it's just as well. I don't have a garage, just a parking pad, and we are suposed to have a foot of snow over the next three days. I guess the boxes will stay in the car until next weekend. :(

Two places in town install hitches. My next task is to get that priced and installed. Then I'll be able to tow my brand new utility trailer down to the local big box and buy some wood.

My son's cub scout pack has a camp out scheduled for the end of May, so I already have a deadline! He and his best buddy can sleep in the tent and dear daughter and I will sleep comfortably in the trailer. Hmm, I may have to stay on the evening shift through June so I can work in the warmth of the day. Fortunately (or unfortunately, as I am normally a skier, and the local ski area just closed for lack of base) here in northern New Mexico the La Niña weather is dry for the most part. My house faces south, and my parking pad has a slight slope to the south, so any snow will melt off and it will be suitable for working on in a couple of days. :lol:

Oh, my gosh! I can't believe I'm doing this! :lol: :R :cry: :shock: :? :lol:

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby bbarry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Wow, you're nothing if not ambitious despite a number of obstacles! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My local Uhaul has done a good job of putting hitches on for me at a reasonable price and with good workmanship. As always, your mileage may vary.

Involve your boys as much as you can and take lots of pics! My two twin brothers and I were raised by my mom and she often had crazy schemes that made for great memories. Your boys will remember this experience for a lifetime.
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :woohoo: You are on your way! Just remember to dig out the :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: We are really here for you and pictures are fun but can be really helpful....

You can do it! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves