Vintage Travel Trailer to fit my needs

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Vintage Travel Trailer to fit my needs

Postby elad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 am

Hi,

I am interested in finding a restored Vintage Travel Trailer in the next couple of years. I'm not in a hurry. I would prefer a smaller one around 12' give or take, that I could pull behind my Tacoma pickup. If need be I would get a bigger truck and/or trailer but prefer and believe that smaller is better.
Here is the possible problem: I am 6'4" tall. The headroom is not as much of an issue as the length of the bed. I'd also like it to have an icebox rather then a fridge. Gas lights would be great but I'm open there.
So far some of the Corvettes look like they may work for me. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to retire in 3 years and want to go out and have fun!

Thanks for any input,
Dale
elad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby reo-ron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm

They're not a "classic" canned ham design BUT at 6'4" you really need a Compact Jr. The pop-up top lets you have head room and lower profile when towing. Also, they weigh less than 1000lbs. Even not a true Canned Ham - I'd call it a classy breadbox! :lol:
That's my 2 cents worth
Ron in Tulsa
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby TheOtherSean » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am

No real advice to give regarding selection. I will share two websites where you might be able to find something along the lines you seem to be going down:

http://www.vintagecampers.com/units.php
http://www.tincantourists.com/classified/
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby Rickxr2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:17 am

Our Mobile Scout has the beds running longwise instead of sideways.
The mattress is exactly 6'4", still short but not as cramped as the sideways models.
But then you have to deal with a narrow bed.

Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby elad » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the input. The beds running fore and aft would work well for me. I am alone now so the other side could be more storage.
It will be interesting to see what I end up with.

Dale
elad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TheresaD » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:26 am

A Shasta 16SC would probably work for you as well since the bed runs lenghtwise also. They have a pretty neat setup. Might be a bit on the long side for you at 16ft. But could be worth looking at. Sorry I don't have any pics to post for you but if you do a google search you'll find some examples.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:38 am

Dale...what you maybe need to think of is...how much do you want to pay for it and what are your abilities to work on it? It seems that the prices are going up on vintage trailers especially if you are wanting one ready to go and done up correctly. If you are 3 years away from retirement, you might be able to pick up a real nice "original" that needs work.

I'd say that for any older trailer that you might be interested in, arm yourself with an education so that you don't get stung on a beater that you aren't prepared to do the work on. Due diligence now can save many headaches later. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cuyeda » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 am

reo-ron wrote:They're not a "classic" canned ham design BUT at 6'4" you really need a Compact Jr. The pop-up top lets you have head room and lower profile when towing. Also, they weigh less than 1000lbs. Even not a true Canned Ham - I'd call it a classy breadbox! :lol:
That's my 2 cents worth
Ron in Tulsa

@Elad, If you do lean towards a Compact Jr. I have one that may be up for grabs when finished, or not finished depending on your skills, and your pocket book like Doug suggested.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 am

I'd say that for any older trailer that you might be interested in, arm yourself with an education so that you don't get stung on a beater that you aren't prepared to do the work on. Due diligence now can save many headaches later. Doug

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby emiller » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 pm

There is a Scottsman for sale here in Arizona for $8500.00 obo
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/2158107518.html
emiller
Donating Member

Postby elad » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Just found a nice 13'/14' Aladdin, 196? (I forget). But it looks great from the pictures. No leaks. Someone is looking at it tomorrow. If they don't sell it, I may take a drive and check it out.
elad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elad » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I am sitting in an RV park alongside the Rouge River in southern Oregon in the 66' Aladdin I just bought. I love it. Full headroom plus and the bed is so long that neither my head or feet hit the walls. The gaslight is keeping me warm and the ice in the icebox is working great! Everything on this trailer seems to work just fine. I can't wait to get home and clean her up and fix her to my liking. A real good cleaning is in order, new cushion covers and curtains. A full time mattress.
Anyway, I am very happy and so is my little dog Kadin.

Dale
elad
Teardrop Inspector

canned ham

Postby mvperini » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Dale
did you find the trailer on the portland craigslist. i saw a couple nice ones in the last few days. happy camping with your new trailer.
Pictures? we like pictures

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby elad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:15 am

Here are the photo's from the Craigslist ad. I'll send more when she is all cleaned up.

elad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Laredo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Does this have the running horses on the side utility covers on the driver's side?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Next

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves