Vintage Tee Pee Travel Trailer(PICS)

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Vintage Tee Pee Travel Trailer(PICS)

Postby eezerz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:58 am

Well, I've scored again! Ever since I found this site I have developed a love for canned hams,teardrops, vintage camping and gear. I have been keeping my eyes peeled and asking around.
This past Sunday I stumbled across a vintage Tee Pee trailer that appears to be all or mostly original. I have searched for hours on the net and all the vintage trailer sites. I've come up virtually empty handed on any pictures or information.
I hope that someone here knows something and can share some info?
I will be spending next weekend recovering the old trailer as it has a shanty/cabin built around it. It appears to be in very salvageable and good condition. I will take some pictures of the process.
Meanwhile, I have a few pictures of the exact same trailer from the internet that will give you an idea of the trailer I'm talking about.
These photos are not mine, but they seem to be the only ones on the net. I also think my trailer is in better condition, but we'll see.
It has some original tags inside and outside the trailer. One of the tags says it was made in Canada. I was unable to find a date, but didn't spend much time looking. I spent more time trying to figure out how to get it out and checking the tires and such. The styling and everthing I could find on the net tells me its a '58 or '59 maybe a '60. I've seen a few models from '62 and '63, but they are rounded out like canned hams. I honestly think it's a pre '60 but I could be wrong. The other amazing thing is that the appliances are all original and very restorable too. It has a stove,sink,icebox and a furnace. I hope they all work?
If anyone can tell me more it would be appreciated. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet? Maybe clean it up a bit and sell it "OR" do a full resto on it.
The price was very right. "FREE" :thumbsup:
Last edited by eezerz on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thismobilehouse.blogspot.com
eezerz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 am

Very cool...and a great price! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

UPDATE!

Postby eezerz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 pm

"UPDATE"
Hello everyone.
Well, as promised I managed to extract the Tee Pee Travel trailer from it's tomb.lol. I wish I had taken pictures of the entombment, but I didn't bring my camera along while I was tearing it down. Basically it was a very poorly constructed shanty, made to look like a log cabin. Inside was 2 trailers.
So without further adew, here are the pics of my new/old trailer...
This is the only side I could see because of the shanty built around it. I assumed it was in really nice shape, but I was wrong. It does need some TLC!
The trailer "is" very complete and 95% original from what I can tell.
Here's the left side. I do have the jalousie window for the front left, it was used in a wall of the cabin.
The only glass that is damaged and missing, is the small window high up on the front right of the trailer.
Here are the original tags next to the front door.
Manufacturer tag...
And the Sales lot tag, probably where it was origanally purchased....
I will research these companies. The trailer was manufactured by Watson Industries, Claresholm Alberta Canada...
This is what you see when you open the door.
The PO must have put up some plaid wallpaper and blue carpet.
Some of the ceiling panels were painted (poorly) in an attempt to cover up the leak around the roof vent. You can see in this picture the paint, religious writing and the original propane lamp above the kitchen.
Pics of the appliances are next...
Furnace...
Stove/oven...
Icebox...
Sink and countertop...
Table/Dinette...
Original metal roof vent, complete with leaks and rot...
Electrical panel and decals..
Rear bed and bunk. And the window on the left is for the left side.
A very sizeable closet...
I also found a large drawer outside. It looks like it was for under the bed. I'm not sure if the bed doubled as a couch, but I think the drawer goes there, so I'm pretty sure no couch. The PO hacked up under the bed a bit. There is a large access panel on the rear for storage under the bed.
Even the wheels and tires appear to be original. The left side of the trailer is rough and is missing the holding tank water filler, stove vent and city water hook up.
So there it is. I'm not sure if I'm gonna hang onto it yet? Maybe clean it up and use it, or do a complete resto on it or "SELL" it? It is "FOR SALE" as of now. I am entertaining reasonable offers to local buyers only, so MAKE ME AN OFFER. It was alot of work getting it out. 2 full 10 hour days of careful demo so I wouldn't damage it anymore than it is. The fate of this trailer is up in the air, SELL,RESTO, or level it and sell it as a flatdeck for $500 and part it out....
Sorry if this post was way too long. BUT, this is the only documented Tee Pee Trailer on the net showing full interior,tags ect:... and I'm still unable to find it's true age because of all the paint on the hitch. I think it's a '66 at the very newest. I will post more of my research for anyone who is interested in this seemingly rare trailer....
P.S. "WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO WITH THIS TRAILER?" Comments please....
Thanks for watching.... :roll:
eezerz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:32 am

You will have a fun project, if you decide to do it! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby eezerz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:07 am

Well I've also researched the company Watson Industries Alberta. There is not a whole lot of info on the company. Here's what I see and have put together with what is available to the public. This is very mysterious, interesting and a little scary. Here goes. The manufacturer of Tee Pee trailers in Claresholm Alberta is affiliated with Duchess, another brand of RV manufacturer(same company). I remember seeing Duchess trailers as a kid. They also have another sister company called Safeway Shelters. apparently these companies no longer exist and any info is top secret. The term that is used is "EXPUNGED". I looked the word up and it seems there were several lawsuits pertaining to this or these companies. From what I understand, only criminal convictions can be EXPUNGED by application in a court of law. Basically a pardon that keeps all records of what happened unattainable. So this makes me wonder how safe these trailers and company were. Did several people die from asphyxiation, did the trailers keep coming uncoupled and kill people on the highway? Why were there several suits against this company? And why did the company seek and apply for expungement of all records pertaining to the lawsuits?
This is scary mysterious!!!
I also found out that the company was registered as early as 1961. Then they applied for expungement in late 1967. The expungement was approved and registered by late 1968. Once approved, all records of the companies existance are wiped out with no records, by law. So what happened? If anyone knows anything about these companies or what happend, please add comments.
I also noticed in one of my pictures I posted, the model of the trailer is a "CHUCKWAGON". I could not see the name up close in real life, but after posting the picture I could faintly see the word CHUCKWAGON and something below it that may be the length of the trailer 15.6.
Here's the pic again...
So records show the company only existed for maybe 6yrs. or less. Also looking at the serial number I'm starting to think the trailer is a 1966 the last digit in the #5036. I looked very closely at the tongue of the trailer and could not see a stamp. Then I checked to see if the toungue was replaced. It's original. So if it is a 1966 model year it could be one of the last trailers produced by Tee Pee. Maybe it is the last one off the line? You never know.
Sorry for babbling on, but I'm quite enjoying this research project.
Below is a copy of the only information available on the net.
TEE PEE
Goods/Services (1) Trailers and mobile homes.

Owner WATSON INDUSTRIES (ALBERTA) LTD.
Address Claresholm
ALBERTA

Status EXPUNGED
Date Filed 1967-08-09
Date Registered 1969-01-31
Serial No CA306941
Design Codes 7.1.20: Tents, yurts
26.11.1: One line or one band

Related

DUCHESS
(WATSON INDUSTRIES (ALBERTA) LTD.)
SAFEWAY & DESIGN
(WATSON INDUSTRIES (ALBERTA) LTD.)
:?
This seems very mysterious. And the trailer is 1of5 that I know exist. There is a completely restored one that I found on the net at a local carshow here in Canada. It is a rear entry model. Then there is one in Washington State that I used pics of at the beginning of this thread. I got the pictures from a blogspot account. The blogger said she looked at it and didn't know what it was. And she mentioned the interior was completely gutted. She took pictures of it and was interested in buying it. Then I found another picture of one hooked up to a van on a for sale site. The last one I found was another restored one on flickr at a canned ham rally, but it looks like a 10 foot model. So that's a total of 5.
Finally, I found a cool old picture of 3 Tee Pee trailers and 1 camper being taken to a dealership almost 50yrs. ago.
Here's the pic.
I hope this information is useful to someone in the future? It has taken alot of searching and time to get this far. If you know anything about these trailers feel free to add to this thread.
T&TTT site is the first to have this much info on these trailers.
I hope you all enjoyed?
:D
eezerz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eezerz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:25 pm

I thought I'd do an update. I have decided to keep this trailer and restore it. I have registered at the other website. There is lots more information on Tee Pee's there now. If you're are interested, check it out. I will update here periodically with my progress. Thanks for reading. Here's the link...
http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku ... ler?page=1
eezerz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wishbone » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm

My Stove, Oven & Heater in My '68 Spotty Sportster look like Yours. Got stove & Oven working. Now need to get Heater working.. Mine has a Gas light too. I going to buy a new one. Mines a Coleman & I bought a Original Globe off E Bay. When I went to install it Broke in Many pieces. Waste of 25 dollars. The fellow had 2 more, But I figured if I bought another one & if broke too, Id be out 50 bucks. I can buy a New one for 50 bucks off internet. Wishbone-Ks
Wishbone
Teardrop Builder

Re: Vintage Tee Pee Travel Trailer(PICS)

Postby ClaresholmKid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

That is quite the find Eezerz. My father worked for Watson Industries building Moblile homes in Nebraska in the 50's. In 1960 we moved to Claresholm, Alberta where he was production manager at the plant on the old air force airport for Watson Industries. They built the TeePee trailers and under the Safeway Shelters name they built Mobile homes (which became the #1 Mobile home in Canada). I have a picture of us with a TeePee from 1964. We moved back to the U.S.
in Colorado in 1964 where my father remained in the Recreational Vehicle Industry till 2010. Don't know what else I could tell you though.
Attachments
trip to nebr.jpg
trip to nebr.jpg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
ClaresholmKid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ClaresholmKid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:41 am

Another view I found.
Attachments
trip to nebr1.jpg
trip to nebr1.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
ClaresholmKid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ClaresholmKid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 am

Watson Industies in Fremont, Nebraska
Attachments
Watson_Industries_Fremont.png
Watson_Industries_Fremont.png (238.59 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
ClaresholmKid
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves