Installing a battery

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Installing a battery

Postby Wishbone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:46 pm

My TV has a Hot wire that runs 12v lights when plugged in. I want to add a battery to so when I'm not hooked up I still can use 12v lights. If i hook the battery to the hot wire on TV will it charge battery going down the road. Wishbone-Ks
Wishbone
Teardrop Builder

Re: Installing a battery

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes, a hot wire from your vehicle's battery to a battery on your trailer will charge the battery on the trailer. I'd suggest using a minimum of 12 gauge wire and fuse it at about 20 amps where it connects to your tow vehicles battery or charging system. If you are running your trailer off your trailer battery you want to be sure to disconnect your tow vehicle from your trailer so you don't run down your vehicle's starting battery.

Another option is to add a relay that disconnects the trailer's battery from the tow vehicle when the ignition is switched off.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: Installing a battery

Postby Wishbone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Yea, I usually unplug trailer from My van when parking any period of time. Had camper packed up and already to go in morning. Came out to leave & battery was dead. Light was on in bathroom & run battery down. I'll have to look for a relay switch for it. Sons going to school for Electrical & Computer Engineering so He'll know what to do. Thanks, Wishbone-ks
Wishbone
Teardrop Builder

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves