Canned Ham purchase & rebuild

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Canned Ham purchase & rebuild

Postby rmef27 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Ok so Im thinking after seeing the teardrops and canned hams and so on that I would be best suited for a canned ham.Is there any one model and year thats better to look for than another? Im looking for something I can fit a queen size bed into and still have a little room anyways.Are there any of these that I can have a bed that size and an enclosed bathroom? because thats what I would like to have eventually and the option of sleeping two adults and two kids inside if possible.Let me know if Im way off base in my expectations and so on.
rmef27
Teardrop Builder

Re: Canned Ham purchase & rebuild

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 pm

You're going to have to decide on just how large of a trailer you want, which is also dependent on what you have to tow it with. If you want a queen bed and a bathroom...it's going to start getting long. I know that Marti from Marti's awnings has a 1959 19' Deluxe Shasta with a single axle on it (2K) or at least she did have it, that would probably have what you need. Chances are, it's not a queen however...more than likely a full sized (6" narrower). I have only built up to 12' and there is no way you're going to get that much into a smaller trailer. I'd say maybe 15' is the minimum size to pack in what you want and it'll be a tiny b-room.

If you want an original to restore or ready to go, you're going to have to do some hunting. Get some education on what to look for in terms of hidden damage etc...what may seem like a "deal" might just be a "bad deal". Others opinions may vary. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby mvperini » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm

what Doug said. you may want to go to a vintage trailer rally to see what is out there and the cost

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby milliejohn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:48 am

doug hodder wrote:You're going to have to decide on just how large of a trailer you want, which is also dependent on what you have to tow it with. If you want a queen bed and a bathroom...it's going to start getting long. I know that Marti from Marti's awnings has a 1959 19' Deluxe Shasta with a single axle on it (2K) or at least she did have it, that would probably have what you need. Chances are, it's not a queen however...more than likely a full sized (6" narrower). I have only built up to 12' and there is no way you're going to get that much into a smaller trailer. I'd say maybe 15' is the minimum size to pack in what you want and it'll be a tiny b-room.

If you want an original to restore or ready to go, you're going to have to do some hunting. Get some education on what to look for in terms of hidden damage etc...what may seem like a "deal" might just be a "bad deal". Others opinions may vary. Doug

Very good advice, I LOVE TO RESTORE VINTAGE TRAILERS, and hidden problems are more common than not, and a queen mattress might be impossible in some trailers without major rebuilding and loss of other features. I just did a 1954 Aljoa Sportsman into a King Bed, but no bathroom[porti potti in closet], and several years ago I gave a 1968 Scotsman, 4 beds, and outside shower and hot water heater. There is much that can be done to change things in a long trailer that are simply not gonna happen in a short trailer even when taken back to bare walls.
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves