'47 MobilGlide..VIN verified!

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

'47 MobilGlide..VIN verified!

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:48 am

I went over yesterday and with the assistance of Donn, pulled the wheels so that I can mount up some "maypops" on my new project. I'll go back in the next couple of weeks and load it on a car hauler and drag it home. I think there is a lot of potential in this one. Exterior and interior are skinned in aluminum. All the original bee hive glass lights are intact, missing wheelskirts. It's just a hair over 12' in length. Lots of headroom in it! Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Picked up a 1947 MobilGlide!

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Cool trailer Doug, you sure can find some neat stuff!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Great find! That will make a nice Bread Loaf.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Nice find! Another build to follow!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm

WOW!!! Doug, you finally got your bread loaf without all the hassles of making the corners and radius edges.
Just a blank slate to do your creative magic on.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:50 pm

Bingo Danny! that is such a big +! Not sure just how I am going to approach this one. I believe the axle is shot, old rubber torsion with shocks...gonna take a torch to get it out...and then, not sure on how to replace the floor. I've got some leftover aluminum from the last build for the corner repair. Someone on the Tin Can Tourists site says that there are only about 20 of these known to exist any more. I'm sure there are more, but it is encouraging to think that maybe I finally found my "diamond in the rough". That's kinda one of those arm waving things that someone says around a campfire and fueled with beer, so who knows what is true.

While the existing cabinetry, that is original, is in fir, my intent is to not go overboard, but to certainly make it a "high end" camper, true to the vintage. this was built back in the day when there weren't a lot of really premium veneered ply's, and as long as I need to build it out, why not spend the dough on some nice woods? I see no purpose in surround sound, microwave, refer, a toilet, shower, as I don't have room to make them really usable, (in my opinion) like so many of the recent "media build" reality shows do, just basic camping in the correct vintage.

I've made up some outlines of the profile on vellum off the computer screen and will break out the colored pencils and start cooking up a paint scheme. While I will attempt to stick to some of the basic design, I think I will doctor it up with some more eye appealing curves on some of the exterior stripes. The original paint scheme is pretty, no, really uninspiring. I personally see no value in trying to do a total original "restore" on it as it has none of the original interior, and in this hobby, currently...it's do what'cha want. At least I'm saving a survivor, and potentially bringing a nice trailer back to life. I want a blonde interior with some nice deep red mahogany accents. It's gonna be killer with some artillery wheels, stainless caps, trim rings, with wide whites, and of course...it needs some fender skirts to kill that square well. The original trailers had them,most are lost now, however they were flat across the bottom...kinda kills the appearance of a nice wheel. Since it's just a piece of detachable metal...what's the problem with doing what I want? This trailer carcass is a clean pallet for me to play with. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:34 am

I will be keeping track of this one to see how it comes out.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:32 am

I like your ideas Doug.:thumbsup:
This trailer fell into the right hands and is begging for a complete remodel, I know you'll do it justice.
You might consider Ash for your blond interior as it's sorta' a forgotten wood that's quite remarkable with a uv resistant clear finish.
Lately I've been using it as the main wood in my multi wood species back scratchers and it looks great with any wood, a lot more caricature than Maple or Birch.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:56 am

Great find Doug! There is no one better that can restore this beauty back to its orginal (and most likely better) condition.

It appears that it is skinned inside with aluminum as well as on the outside. Are there dual skins? If so, I don't think I've ever seen pictures of a bread loaf with an aluminum interior.

I look forward to your build/restoration.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wagondude » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm

That is a nice set of bones to work with. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I like your ideas Doug.:thumbsup:
This trailer fell into the right hands and is begging for a complete remodel, I know you'll do it justice.

+1 :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the vote of confidence. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:00 pm

It's all set to pick it up on the 12th. I checked every car hauler trailer I could find and none had the capability of hauling a 7' wide trailer. I don't want to run the risk of damaging the lower skirts by trying to make it fit on a narrow trailer. A neighbor that is an ex CHP has some buddies that owe him some favors. They will pick it up with a roll back and haul it home, 160 miles. He can also hook me up with a friend that will certify the VIN on it so hopefully I can get it titled and licensed as a '47. Calif. now has a program where I can get the correct vintage colored plate, so hopefully will be lucky and get that. It will add to the value.

If you have a vintage trailer and can come up with a little bit of info, the people at the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart are fantastic on helping people out on the ID and other info on trailers. The sent me a copy of a page out of a book called (official mobile home market report). It lists where the serial numbers will be found, and how to read the numbers including manufactured weights and prices originally. I also got a copy of an ad that appeared in a magazine from 1946. I like the MobilGlide tag line in the ad: " Manufactured by a company with an eye to the future. Sold only by leading dealers with a conscience." If you use their services, be a nice camper and send them a donation to help the museum.

This trailer has what is called the "Brunk mobile spring axle" a shocked torsion. That was ahead of Airstream at the time. Total weight on this one at 12 x 7' body...1300#. That should be perfect for my Ranger...in fact it's 100# less than the Nomad. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dano » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 am

Doug, congrats on the find. I love these trailers and am so happy your doing one. Now we get to watch you do your magic. Best of luck with this one.
Dano
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
dano
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Cool trailer Doug, you sure can find some neat stuff!

Hey...what happened to that old one you found? Or is it posted and I'm not seeing it? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves