Any builds, rehashes of the "Roamabout" 18ft ?

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Any builds, rehashes of the "Roamabout" 18ft ?

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi folks,

I'm interested in the old Science and Mechanics Roamabout design,
http://tnttt.com/VintagePlans/18'trailerscimech.pdf

Was wondering if there was any recent projects based on it, or just discussion/critique of it. Search didn't come up with much.

thanks,

JaggedEdges
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Re: Any builds, rehashes of the "Roamabout" 18ft ?

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Super sketchy sketch... wanted to see how it might look with my van that is silver with black tint, if I made one in silver then painted / tinted to match...

Squinting makes it look great :D
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 pm

As designed, the hitch weight worries me, seems to be all empty space behind axle and all appliances in front.

I'm trying to brain around a better layout, don't like the bed sizes. I think it should be big enough to get 6 beds in, 2 doubles and 2 bunks. Current "double" sizes are only a bit bigger than twins.

Current thinking is to shift door rearward by a foot, making room for a proper double sized dinette... Then at rear of camper have a U "lounge", with possible small table, that makes down into another double. Then set back from the end about 3' on the floorplan, socketing into a cupboard across top of U lounge, and braced out by a semi partition the other end, I'm thinking a hammock/stretcher type bunk each side, highish. The one side may go over end of counter, the other may go over a "squatty potty", maybe make it with a fold up/down part on top. There might be a pull out vertical partition and curtain dangler, to give some measure of privacy to U lounge bed. Another curtain across dinette.

I don't really know yet, still shoving it around in noggin.
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby josephhanson » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:13 am

I built a camper similar to the one you're looking at. Mine has a drop floor in the "kitchen" area to keep the height down, but the layout is close. I have more weight on the front, but I'm using a truck so that didn't worry me. I like more weight on the front because there's no worries about sway. Good luck with your build.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 pm

I think your sketchy sketch looks really good.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves