Toying with Building a canned ham

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Toying with Building a canned ham

Postby finleycraft » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:32 am

Does anyone know where I could find a complete set of plans to base a design off of? I have been looking at trailers a lot lately and I just don't think I want to spend 15 k on a trailer so I think I am going to build another one. :twisted: I am thinking of going with an aluminum trailer frame welded up at a local shop, probably 16ft total length by 7ft wide. I would love to put gas and electricity w/battery in it as well as hot and cold water and AC. I am guestimating my build will run me around 4k all in. I was able to build my raindrop that was 6/12 for about 2500. So ya there is my starting point all suggestions are welcome. :thumbsup:
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Toying with Building a canned ham

Postby TheOtherSean » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:59 am

I recommend checking out the Vintage Plans link under Design Resources (the menu at top of this site). There are a few designs there (e.g. Wanderbug, Vacation, Terra Cruiser) that have canned ham-ish profiles, as well as an oversized teardrop profile (Trail Scout). Also, I've ran across updated versions of one or two of these plans with larger available for sale online (one is the Earth Cruiser, based upon the vintage Terra Cruiser).

There are the Glen-L travel trailer designs, which are pricey-but-complete plans with full-sized templates. Those are for more modern-style trailers, but perhaps could be adapted.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby finleycraft » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:17 am

Hey thanks Sean! I had no idea Glen L did campers and trailers too. Def something to consider. Thanks for the point of direction! :applause:
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Just break out a pencil and a piece of paper...draw up what you want. I've done a couple of canned hams, one sort of a clone of a Scotty, and one that I just cooked up. Construction methods are the same pretty much for any of the canned hams, just draw up what you want. Personally, I think you will be a bit short on the budget if you are planning an aluminum frame, but just my opinion. I welded up my own frames, did my own paint work and was a bit over the 4K number.
Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves