DIY door for a canned ham?

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

DIY door for a canned ham?

Postby MatthewWorks » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:24 pm

While I've seen DIY doors for teardrops, a taller door for a canned ham makes me worry about warping, etc. That said, I still really sort of want a better shaped door than the standard RV door.
Anyone built their doors? Wondering if I should weld a frame, insulate and skin... or am I just adding more nightmares to my complicated project?

While I might not be able to do the windows I wanted in the original pic above (The idea for those windows coming from http://www.vintagecampers.com/parts.php?category=Body%20Parts&sub=Windows -- I think that's adding too much trouble. Dang it.), it still would be nice to have the curve on the door. Might be bloody foolish, though.

Any thoughts?
Matthew.

lost, but enjoying it so far.

18Jan2018:
total days in camper 92 (since Apr 2017)
camper has paid for itself with hotel/rental savings: 209%
MatthewWorks
Donating Member

Re: DIY door for a canned ham?

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:28 am

Hey MatthewWorks! I've never built a door as large as you describe, but I'm thinking back to the cabinets I've inspected ... and pretty much every 3/4-inch plywood door over 36" in height seems to be warped!

For what it's worth, I like the idea of welding a frame, insulating the core and skinning it. That's how the manufacturers build 'em. Judging from my own door-building experience (which was somewhat dismal, I'm afraid) and other stories, I'd say you're in for another $300 and 40+ hours of work :twisted:

If you don't mind me saying, though, there are lots of radiused or domed RV doors that are close to the size you're looking for. Challenger Doors seems to be a good source. If you can stand the shape of a standard door, maybe you could paint it or skin it to your liking? :thinking:
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby MatthewWorks » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:59 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:...I'd say you're in for another $300 and 40+ hours of work :twisted:

If you don't mind me saying, though, there are lots of radiused or domed RV doors that are close to the size you're looking for. Challenger Doors seems to be a good source. If you can stand the shape of a standard door, maybe you could paint it or skin it to your liking? :thinking:

...yeah, kinda my thought too, although I hate to admit it to myself. I think I could likely buy something surplus for less, and re-skin it. I admit, I want it on the road sooner rather than later... and can always go back into it during a slow time to get a bit fancier.

(I do wonder about buying an rv door, cutting it down slightly to obtain the shape I want, reinforcing it where I've made changes... hmmmm. But then I'd have to do that to a screen door too... )

I'm kind of my own worst enemy...
Matthew.

lost, but enjoying it so far.

18Jan2018:
total days in camper 92 (since Apr 2017)
camper has paid for itself with hotel/rental savings: 209%
MatthewWorks
Donating Member

Postby sheeres » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:11 am

MatthewWorks wrote:
Andrew Herrick wrote:...I'd say you're in for another $300 and 40+ hours of work :twisted:

...yeah, kinda my thought too, although I hate to admit it to myself. I think I could likely buy something surplus for less, and re-skin it. I admit, I want it on the road sooner rather than later... and can always go back into it during a slow time to get a bit fancier.

(I do wonder about buying an rv door, cutting it down slightly to obtain the shape I want, reinforcing it where I've made changes... hmmmm. But then I'd have to do that to a screen door too... )

I'm kind of my own worst enemy...

This what I am doing. Got a door, screen door, frame and all for $20. I also happen to live close to the RV building capital of the world in lower Michigan/ upper Indiana.

Cutting the door down was easy, just measure 5 times and cut and reglue once. The frame has more than one cut, but looks easy enough to do with a hacksaw. I have only looked once at the screen door so I cannot gauge how difficult it will be to cut down.

My issue is going to be getting a good paint job on the door to match the canvas I am in the process of painting.
sheeres
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves