5 gallon portable toilet to black water tank?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

5 gallon portable toilet to black water tank?

Postby nemoskull » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 am

so ive been tossing around the idea of using a 5 gallon portable toilet, and cutting a hole in the bottom and running it straight to RV dump hook ups.
tap the 5 gallon tank for an vent line and run it to the roof.
some thing like this:
does anyone see why i cant do this?
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Re: 5 gallon portable toilet to black water tank?

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am

Have the same one and if I remember correctly it was advertised as being able to adapt to standard fittings. Have it slip onto/into a drain pipe, when traveling you could remove it for storage and cap the pipe.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Does a small portable toilet like that use enough water to flush the waste through 10-20ft of corrugated RV Sewer Hose?

The holding tank concept allows you to use city water to flush the contents of the black tank into the sewer or RV dump site.

Check out what RV Sewer Hose looks like.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:37 pm

I had a friend who yanked the BW tank out of a trailer, and ran abs smooth pipe to the rv dump hole. Pretty much daily he had to pour a 5 gallon bucket down the hole to flush the solids down, some days he had to get his stick and bust up the "pyramid", that formed. It's going to take a least a couple of gallons to push solids to the main line in an rv. Best bet is either use a standard toilet ( which takes up a lot of space) or bite the bullet and put in a small black tank, and collect everything and dump when 3/4 full.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby nemoskull » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:39 am

Socal Tom wrote:I had a friend who yanked the BW tank out of a trailer, and ran abs smooth pipe to the rv dump hole. Pretty much daily he had to pour a 5 gallon bucket down the hole to flush the solids down, some days he had to get his stick and bust up the "pyramid", that formed. It's going to take a least a couple of gallons to push solids to the main line in an rv. Best bet is either use a standard toilet ( which takes up a lot of space) or bite the bullet and put in a small black tank, and collect everything and dump when 3/4 full.
Tom

you know, the more i think about it, the more i think i like a standard toilet. im an out doors kinda guy, so im not afraid to crap in the woods. mostly, i want the on board toilet to hook up at rv parks.
can some one tell me why this cant work, using a standard toilet in a teardrop?
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 am

If you use abs or pvc, then you have your best chance. The risk is that a porcelain toilet won't survive the ride. In my friends case, he was parked at that spot for about 5 years.
Tom

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am

Not only the damage from bouncing around, but also the way it closes off.

A standard home toilet has a P trap like your sink.
It traps a quart of water to seal off the sewer gas and odors from the poop pipes.
I'm guessing that quart of water would slosh out the discharge pipe bouncing down the road.

An RV toilet has a knife valve with seals to hold an inch of water above and close off the odors of the discharge pipe and tank.
That little bit of water stays in the bowl during travel, and the knife valve does a good job on its own even if the bowl goes dry.

A standard toilet would probably smell bad upon arrival.
Of course, you can pour in a quart of water when you first enter, refill the P trap, and you are back to good, if the porcelain base flange hasn't broken off.
The aroma might clear out, mostly, I suppose...
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 am

They build special toilets for RVs for a reason. In the end a proper RV toilet and black water tank are going to be the least hassle, easiest to deal with, and in the long run, probably the cheapest.

Don't scrimp, the last thing you want next year while camping on a hot summer day is that wonderful fecal aroma emanating from your bathroom.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am

Also, Its really nice to be able to pull over and use the facilities when ever its convenient and not have to worry about if you can find a clean bathroom along the way.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets