1 gallon propane tank?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: 1 gallon propane tank?

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 pm

lrrowe wrote:I have a 10 gal tank which I use for projetcs which need propane and where I do not want to lug a big one around.
I have two places near me where one charges by the gas required to fill the tank and the other a flat rate. You can guess which one I use.

For the water heater, keep in mind that the tank will not run all the time. I recall one poster, Bruce I think, that says the pilot really maintains a very good level of heat which would extend the usage time.

And as I plan on doing with my 6 gal. Suburban Heater, is to add even more insulation around it. Every little bit has to help.

I've owned RVs for over 50yrs. We learned very quickly that a water heater is usually a 'propane hog' if you use it to maintain 'hot' water normally. I discovered that once I set up camp & turn on/light the water heater, when it finishes the first heat cycle. turn the control down to 'pilot only'. The pilot will maintain a hot temperature for days unless you empty the hot water tank, or nearly so. For normal morning face wash, doing dishes, & such the pilot light alone has kept us in hot water for days, even when temps fall into the mid-40s at night. This has worked well in smaller, 18' trailers & large cabover campers. If you use the water heater for showers'n such, dunno how it'd work but I expect it wouldn't 'keep up' with demand...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Nobody wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I have a 10 gal tank which I use for projetcs which need propane and where I do not want to lug a big one around.
I have two places near me where one charges by the gas required to fill the tank and the other a flat rate. You can guess which one I use.

For the water heater, keep in mind that the tank will not run all the time. I recall one poster, Bruce I think, that says the pilot really maintains a very good level of heat which would extend the usage time.

And as I plan on doing with my 6 gal. Suburban Heater, is to add even more insulation around it. Every little bit has to help.

I've owned RVs for over 50yrs. We learned very quickly that a water heater is usually a 'propane hog' if you use it to maintain 'hot' water normally. I discovered that once I set up camp & turn on/light the water heater, when it finishes the first heat cycle. turn the control down to 'pilot only'. The pilot will maintain a hot temperature for days unless you empty the hot water tank, or nearly so. For normal morning face wash, doing dishes, & such the pilot light alone has kept us in hot water for days, even when temps fall into the mid-40s at night. This has worked well in smaller, 18' trailers & large cabover campers. If you use the water heater for showers'n such, dunno how it'd work but I expect it wouldn't 'keep up' with demand...

Interesting idea. I use the heater for night time showers. So during the warmer months, setting the setting to pilot after showering would save $$$$. Might try this on my next outing in a few weeks . But during the colder months, the water heater serves as my cabin heater. Then I want the temp setting on low to medium.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:17 am

I went with a 20# standard tank, thinking propane exchange is easy to find and propane fill can be challenging. This proved to be a good choice this summer, when I found myself o.u.t. of propane in a small town on a Sunday morning. All the local propane sellers were closed. Nearest "big city" was an hour drive each way, but the grocery store exchange was a half mile round trip. My "steak saver" fitting saved Sunday morning coffee that day, plus the tank exchange saved 2+ hours driving and finding an open propane fill in a unfamiliar city. YMMV. :D
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 am

capnTelescope wrote:I went with a 20# standard tank, thinking propane exchange is easy to find and propane fill can be challenging. This proved to be a good choice this summer, when I found myself o.u.t. of propane in a small town on a Sunday morning. All the local propane sellers were closed. Nearest "big city" was an hour drive each way, but the grocery store exchange was a half mile round trip. My "steak saver" fitting saved Sunday morning coffee that day, plus the tank exchange saved 2+ hours driving and finding an open propane fill in a unfamiliar city. YMMV. :D

That convenience of being able to swap out a tank anywhere at any time seems pretty big.
I would need a good reason do anything else.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:
capnTelescope wrote:I went with a 20# standard tank, thinking propane exchange is easy to find and propane fill can be challenging. This proved to be a good choice this summer, when I found myself o.u.t. of propane in a small town on a Sunday morning. All the local propane sellers were closed. Nearest "big city" was an hour drive each way, but the grocery store exchange was a half mile round trip. My "steak saver" fitting saved Sunday morning coffee that day, plus the tank exchange saved 2+ hours driving and finding an open propane fill in a unfamiliar city. YMMV. :D

That convenience of being able to swap out a tank anywhere at any time seems pretty big.
I would need a good reason do anything else.

While I believe the 5# is a bit too small, it fits in my tongue box, weighs at least 15 lbs less than the 20# tanks. When I know its getting low I carry a couple of one pound bottles for "reserve". Though since I've started bringing the little propane firepit, I bring a 20#er.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm

I find that a cold shower in the morning is very ...uh...Inspiring! :shock: ........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets