Propane Distribution Plumbing

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane Distribution Plumbing

Postby dio449 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 am

I am planning to have a 40lb propane tank mounted on the tongue of my trailer and I would like to distribute the propane to a couple of points on the trailer at the rear. On one side I will have a fold down that will have a propane burner built in, and on the other side, I would like a connection point for a future hot water heater. I will be using black iron pipe to run propane from the front to the galley, at which point I will split the feed to the two locations.

So my question is if the two appliances have different pressure requirements I will need a dedicated pressure regulator at each appliance. Is it ok to run the distribution plumbing right off the tank with no regulator in between? Or should I put the regulators at a tank manifold and run separate lines from front to back for each appliance?

Thanks
dio449
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Propane Distribution Plumbing

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 am

I would avoid running a full pressure line to regulators at each device. Given some type of failure your whole tank will dump its contents at high pressure. I would consider looking for units that run on the same pressure. You may be able to run the lines with a regulator for the higher pressure device at the tank and the lower pressure device at the device.

Why use one 40lb tank? Two 20's, though a bit heavier, are easier to deal with and can be swapped out anywhere while travelling.
Ottsville
Teardrop Master

Re: Propane Distribution Plumbing

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 pm

I have the same problem with needing two different pressure regulators, but I will have my tank mounted to the side at the back and use a wye fitting.

You could put and adjustable regulator at the tank and adjust it so you can run both on full. I think I would put a wye at the tank with your regulators and run two copper tubing runs to the back for the heater and burner.

I wouldn't put iron pipe in a trailer. The pipe is fine but the connector are cast iron and don't hold up well to vibrations and shock. and it's heavy.

Otts brings up a good point about the 20# tanks you can exchange almost anywhere and 24-7 at a lot of places.

Todd
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets