Shower and Toilet without dumping

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Shower and Toilet without dumping

Postby dreamwalk » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post here on tnttt.com! I've been reading on several different posts about toilets, showers, and plumbing systems in general. I've got a conundrum though. I want a shower and a toilet in my trailer. No problem there, but I don't want to have to search for a dump site and pay dumping fee's. I'm a huge fan of composting toilets. That'd be ideal, but being on the road, this wouldn't be viable. I've seen a few post about them in TDs, but i'm not sure about the composting part of it. And then there's the grey water situation. My question is: Has anyone made or thought up an alternative for all this? Maybe a mobile composting toilet system? The idea is to get the trailer as off grid as possible, minimize living expenses, and maximize a travel budget without compromising(too much :NC ) on a what my partner considers necessities. Maybe it's something that can't be done. Maybe someone has links or knows where discussion on this topic is had?
Thanks!

-Dreamwalk
dreamwalk
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Shower and Toilet without dumping

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 pm

You're gonna have to either store your waste, or you're going to have to dump it. You have to be responsible for your own sh*t one way or the other. It's not going to disappear on its own.

Disposal fees are not onerous and many states offer roadside dump stations that are free. Showers generate more waste water than any other activity. Perhaps you could omit the shower and use campsite or park showers when necessary. Dumping gray water on the ground, as many do when boondocking is irresponsible and wasteful.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:27 pm

Let me be clear at the start, I have not been boondocking in my adult life, so I have no experience personally.

However - I don't buy the blanket statement that dumping grey water is "irresponsible & wasteful". Certainly it CAN be, but if you use bio-degradable soap for dishes & body washing, & you spread or seep the water properly - how is this so terrible?

There are plenty of people watering gardens & flowerbeds with grey water @ home and getting good results.

Assuming that the only water you have is what you take in with you, (since you are boondocking) you are going to conserve to the best of your ability right?

WoodSmith
-via tappatalk
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:13 pm

I'll concede that my statement about gray water was too broadly stated. I'm just tired of finding smelly mud pits left after a camper leaves having showered and then dumped the cooking and washing water out the back of their trailer.

Not every disposes of their gray water responsibly, many do. Please be one of the many, not the few.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby IamJerryP » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:36 pm

There were several RVs during the 60s, and 70s that used the motor exhaust system, to steam off the waste water while driving, and there is nothing but dried solids to drop in a trash can. There is also a toilet available that uses bags, and ties them off for you, again, just drop it in the trash.
You could also check into the toilets that use kitty litter, just drop it in the trash can at a stop.
Composters are pretty neat, but require a lot of electricity to dry it out in the tray.
IamJerryP
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Dream,

I had the same dream... ;)
And have a toilet and shower in my camper.

Welcome to the forum!
A portable toilet seems to be the easiest method for "having" a toilet but not having dumping fees, having to drive to a dump station, etc.
You said "on the road". If at a typical campground, a portable can be emptied in a pit toilet (outhouse) or a regular flush toilet.
Same goes for shower water.

If you are on the road stopping at parking lots and the like,you should have at least a small onboard storage tank for gray water; 5-10 gallons worth.
A portable container, such as a 5 gallon bucket, or a water container (used only for gray) can be easily dumped as above, such as rest stops, or at a remote location (safe and responsibly)
A portable toilet, if you find yourself in a situation where adding "flush water" to the waste is just creating more disposal issues, can easily be used with a plastic bag inserted, and disposed of elsewhere (safely and responsibly).

We all do this everyday...well, at least those of us who are "regular" and who bathe frequently :R
Solutions abound if you can get beyond the issues most seem to have with using a toilet "the regular way" :thinking:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dreamwalk » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:41 am

48Rob wrote:Dream,

I had the same dream... ;)
And have a toilet and shower in my camper.

Welcome to the forum!
A portable toilet seems to be the easiest method for "having" a toilet but not having dumping fees, having to drive to a dump station, etc.
You said "on the road". If at a typical campground, a portable can be emptied in a pit toilet (outhouse) or a regular flush toilet.
Same goes for shower water.

If you are on the road stopping at parking lots and the like,you should have at least a small onboard storage tank for gray water; 5-10 gallons worth.
A portable container, such as a 5 gallon bucket, or a water container (used only for gray) can be easily dumped as above, such as rest stops, or at a remote location (safe and responsibly)
A portable toilet, if you find yourself in a situation where adding "flush water" to the waste is just creating more disposal issues, can easily be used with a plastic bag inserted, and disposed of elsewhere (safely and responsibly).

We all do this everyday...well, at least those of us who are "regular" and who bathe frequently :R
Solutions abound if you can get beyond the issues most seem to have with using a toilet "the regular way" :thinking:

Rob

Thanks for your reply. I checked out your website, and it's very interesting!

I guess it's important to note I'm considering building a standy on an 8x10 frame. Right now I'm thinking foamy to keep weight in check.

I think I'll end up using a portable toilet, but I'm really not sure how to do the shower. I've looked into the pre-made shower pan molds that cover the floor and walls, and a grey water tank. Being off the grid will afford me limited amounts of electricity to run a pump for the shower, and I've considered a hand pump, but i'm not sure I like that idea yet. Do the electric water pumps offer a decent water pressure?

What do you guys think of a hand pump to build up pressure in the water holding tank? Do you think it'd be too great an effort for the efficiency?
dreamwalk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Many find that a pump up portable bug/weed sprayer (new of course) with a shower head o the end of the hose makes for a great shower!

I solved the problem in another camper that had no bathroom by making a folding bathtub of canvas.

Not my original idea...

Another cool method is to build a small tub under a dinette seat, or the bed.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dreamwalk » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for sharing that! Exciting for sure!

I hadn't considered putting something like that under a table or the bed, but I'll have to look into that more. In my sketches I have a small (24x24inch) shower box that also serves as storage for a portable toilet. I'm concerned it's going to be too small, but I'd have to do some mock ups to be sure.
dreamwalk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:39 pm

My current trailer has a sit down shower, 24 x 36.
At 6'-2" I fit fine.
If you have headroom to stand, a 2 x 2 might work.
As for using the stall to hold the toilet, a simple test will prove or disprove;
Sit down on a toilet or chair, put your hands in your lap, elbows out to the sides.
That is how much room (at a minimum) you will need to be comfortable, and to clean up after.

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:58 pm

This has been discussed a lot in the Cargo Conversions section. You should do a search on that part of the forum for showers.

One thread that was fairly recent comes to mind. It was on shower sizing. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60853&p=1092369&hilit=shower#p1092369
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Augie Dog » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:30 pm

You need to look into a RV porta tank. I have been camping for many years and I have never been charged to dump my tanks. The cg has a dump station as does some of the bigger truck stops. Some state roadside rest areas have dumps also. I am including a link to an rv supplier selling the tanks I am referring to. They come in different capacities so check them out and I hope this helps.
http://www.adventurerv.net/wastewater-p ... 4_101.html :beer:
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:45 pm

If you went with a presure sensitive pump and kept showers to a minimum I don't think power consumption would be an issue
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby fm-usa » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm

One of the best ways of controlling waste water is doing as much away from the trailer as possible, restaurants, fuel stops, etc..

As for showers, that's s sore spot for most women for they like LOTS of water. As for me I've got my showers down to just under one quart and that's with 2" long hair. So far I have yet to get my lady to try my way of showering at home, bit stubborn.

As for the commode, I'm still undecided on a all-in-one portable unit or a 5 gal. bucket with bags. Personally I like the instant cleanliness of the bags and not cleaning pipes and/or tanks. Again, most woman don't want to deal with that department if it entails more than a flush handle.

ANYWAYS,...
I'm still kick'n around and accepting ideas on this.
FM
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby rjgimp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:18 pm

So here is a searchable site that identifies locations of rv dump sites. Many are free.

https://rvdumpsites.net/

Here is a companion site that identifies free and low cost camping sites.

https://freecampsites.net/
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets