Dometic drop in stove hose connection

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Dometic drop in stove hose connection

Postby waterguy1111 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:00 pm

Hello all. I have purchased a Drop-in Dometic 2 burner stove for my teardrop. It's a slide-out. I would like to hook up a 1lb Propane bottle to it but for the life of me can't tell what connections
I need. I don't really like the idea of the bigger bottles. I really won't use it much. Therefore I would like to screw it on when I need it and disconnect when I am done. Any ideas?

thanks for your time!
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Re: Dometic drop in stove hose connection

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:42 am

THE MAKE THE STANDARD CONNECTION TANKS IN #5 AND #10 POUND AS AN OPTION FOR THE STANDARD #20 'S I GOT A TINY ONE FOR THE TAILGATER TRAILER ! Damn cap lock :x
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:15 pm

There sure is a lot of different fittings out there.
A quick google seems to indicate the Dometic two burner has a regulator in it. This gives the first clue - you probably need a hose that can handle cylinder pressure. i.e. a high pressure hose.
The instructions on the Dometic website aren't helpful. They just say connect a hose to the stove and support the regulator while you do it. So helpful.
You could just email them and ask what the fitting is. That worked for me with Primus, sort of, when I wanted to know more about my Primus stove.

Perhaps he simplest thing to do would be to take the whole shebang to a RV/Camping/BBQ store and tell the salesman what you need.
There would almost certainly be a hose available that has the right fitting to connect directly to the cooker.
Then an adaptor for connecting the hose to the coleman bottle. If you get lucky, and I doubt you'd have to be that lucky - they seem common, you will find a hose that screws to the cooker, and has either a direct connection to the coleman 1lb bottle or can be adapated.

Even here in Outback Oz, adapting a 1lb propane bottle to my 2 burner was not very hard.
I did have the original hose to start with, though.
I was able to buy an off-the-shelf valve assembly that was made to screw on to a 1lb propane bottle (I'm assuming you mean a Coleman green bottle) giving me a valve and a 3/8" BSP LH threaded outlet, at that point the original hose screwed right on.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25432111839 ... gLPtfD_BwE
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby waterguy1111 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 pm

Thank you guys for your help. I am going to hit up the Propane gas company tomorrow. I appreciate your help. Some of my concerns (not knowing much) is in regards to the pressure so this all helps!

Ken
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Postby waterguy1111 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:15 pm

So I should have tested it but I didn't. My first trip in the teardrop was fantastic! The only issue I had was the stove. It put out a huge flame! It is a dometic with a regulator and all attached with a 10LB propane tank and hose that was made by the local propane company. I am wondering if the regulator was bad?

Thoughts??

Ken
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Missing orfice?
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm

waterguy1111 wrote:So I should have tested it but I didn't. My first trip in the teardrop was fantastic! The only issue I had was the stove. It put out a huge flame! It is a dometic with a regulator and all attached with a 10LB propane tank and hose that was made by the local propane company. I am wondering if the regulator was bad?

Thoughts??

Ken
Are you referring to the regular at the tank? It could be the wrong one.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby waterguy1111 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:15 am

Should I have a regulator on the tank? There is one on the drop in stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:39 am

[quote="waterguy1111"]Should I have a regulator on the tank? There is one on the drop in stove.

I THINK so. I know you don’t want a high-pressure line back to your stove. You won’t find a commercially built RV without one.

On my last build, I needed two different regulators since my stove needed a much higher (pressure. My plan A was to run a line back to the galley area and then split two lines off with separate regulators at the Y. I asked the opinion of a good friend that was a propane installer for thirty years. He really balked over a long run of high-pressure propane. I think it really bothered him from a safety issue. I was fortunate to have him as a resource.

But I believe that may be your problem.

:thinking:

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jaws_1972 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 am

Hello,

Yes, you need a regulator on a 1lb tank as pressure can be as high as 200 psi and the stove should be supplied via low pressure. I just bought one of these for my stove connection. It connects directly to the 1lb tank and then has a 3/8 flare connection for the back of the stove.

1LB Propane Regulator with 5FT Extension Hose X 3/8" Female Flare

Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
Legend 7x16+2V "Lucky" Build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets