How big are your tanks?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

How big are your tanks?

Postby queeg9k » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:49 pm

How much fresh water do yall keep on board? I know a good rule of thumb is one gallon per person per day MINIMUM. How much do you all go through in a weekend with two campers? How about a week? looks like a lot of people just hook up to city water when camping, I am not planing on being close to city water, or power for that matter. I am thinking of doing the "redneck" (pvc) holing tanks.

How much propane do you guys use in a weekend/week of camping? I do like to cook in my dutch oven and over open fire, so the small propane cook top would not be the only source of cooking heat. Is 5# overkill, or just right?

Asking for help because trial and err can be expensive.
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:45 pm

...strictly my opinion...I built/used the "redneck" water tanks, built from 4" PVC w/NSF potable water rating...no matter what I did or used, I could not get the "funk" taste to go away...I hear ABS pipe is a better choice...I now use the "blue" water jugs from most any sporting goods store...keeps the water fresher tasting, easier to clean and for me, they have actually proved more convenient since, I can take just as much water as I need/want...they are available in sizes from 2.5gal and up...I have 2 of the 2.5gal and a 5gal Gott water cooler..........

Propane...for years I used the little 1# throw aways...no more, except as back up...I hated paying way too much for propane, having to deal with partially used bottles and disposing of the used one, I considered 5/10# tanks but they are pricey compared to a std 20# "barbque" style tank(of which I had several), so that is what I now use, a 20# tank with a distribution tree, which allows me to mount a lantern on top and provides a couple of taps to run additional appliances...I have them refilled at a refill station and only pay for propane used and when the expiration date comes around, I trade them for an AmeriGas/BlueRhino or other prefilled tank(which are only partially filled) and go on about my business.........

Propane and Water Usage...my little propane stove runs near 4hrs on a 1# disposable and my large stove gets around 2.5hrs of cooking time on the same 1# bottle...YMMV...for water usage, if conservative, you can probably get by with less than a gal a day per person but, not by a whole lot...on a 3day trip w/2people and additional drinks available, I will bring water home with 5gal available...especially if I use paper and plastic for utensils and do minimal washups...once again, YMMV and only personal experience will give you definitive answers to your questions..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:38 am

Like MJ said, your water usage will probably varry from others. Personally, I'll have about 7.5gal capacity fresh and grey water. I don't plan on drinking water out of the tank, but still want to keep everything potable water grade so I don't contaminate the rest of system, as city water will be drunken/cooked with.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 am

We have a 10 and a bit plus gallon water tank and a 5 Gallon flexible water jug. On the CAG trip (four days) only about 2/3 of the main tank were used and this is with a sink used for dishes, coffee, cooking etc.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Teardrop - 10 gallons of water, 1# propane and 5 gallons of grey water.

Boxcar - 26 gallons of water, 17# of propane, 5 gallon grey water (same blue tank from the teardrop), 1 gallon gasoline and 3 gallons of diesel.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets