pipe through the floor

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

pipe through the floor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 am

I am in the process of redoing the gas pipe and adding some wiring. One of the weakness of how Compass Rose was built is the lack of attention to keeping water out of the underside of the trailer and potential of leaks from water spray when traveling, not to mention some of the holes are big enough to allow critters to climb in! I have been looking at bulkhead fittings which essentially are an additional pair of connections (which I do not want), one above and one below and all I want is some way to seal things up and keep wires and pipe from rubbing/shifting. To complicate things a polyethylene membrane was used to protect the underside of the trailer so this needs to be part of the thinking.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: pipe through the floor

Postby Dale M. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 am

GE Silicone rubber (RTV) and a caulking gun... OR.... I had problem where gas pipe came out of wall in garage for dryer and I made a two piece plate that was cut in half in center and has a hole centered on center line cut... Put each piece on one side of pipe and a few screws.... The amount "seal" around plate/pipe interface is just how accurate you wish to make it...

Similar to this escutcheon plate.... But home made out flat aluminum sheet (a little overlap at "joint" does not hurt)...

The really cool thing about silicone RTV is it can make a really good weather/dust/dirt/insect/insulating/flexible seal but its easy to remove with just a little tenacity....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: pipe through the floor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks Dale, we were thinking in the same channel. I have some fairly heavy (1/4") polypropylene plastic left over from other projects and I used a 2 1/2" hole saw and made some plastic donuts. the center hole I drilled out to 3/8 and 5/16. Since the pipe will not have ends on it I can put the donuts on before flaring the ends and as you suggest use RTV to seal it.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets