gas pipe size

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

gas pipe size

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 am

The hose coming out of the propane regulator appears to be 3/8". This feeds a 1/2" pipe to the rear of the trailer where it branches out to two 3/8" lines for cook top and water heater. I need to add a 5/16 line for the gas grill. Since the hose from the regulator is 3/8" is there any reason to use 1/2" pipe?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: gas pipe size

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:17 am

My only thought it could act as a pressurized reserve much like having a tank on an air compressor. A second blessing is that 1/2 (and 3/4) pipe fitting are probably the cheapest to buy simply because so damn many are made, while the smaller fittings are not in such great demand.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: gas pipe size

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Since I had to order pipe and fittings I called an engineer (industrial design) friend of mine and he said at 11bar (gas pressure) the 3/8 is fine, talked to master plumber at location I ordered the parts and he said the only reason they use 1/2 or 3/4 in black iron/galvanized is that it is less expensive than 3/8. This is however not the case with copper so ordered 15' of 3/8 copper.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets