Can a propane tank be powder coated?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Can a propane tank be powder coated?

Postby Mukilteo » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

I have a older horizontal propane tank under my van that needs to be cleaned up and repainted and I thought powder coating would be the way to go.
So the question is, is it a good idea or not?
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Re: Can a propane tank be powder coated?

Postby Dale M. » Sat May 26, 2012 9:25 am

Probably but... Powder coating requires "object" to be placed into a oven and requires a temperature up to about 400°f. to get coating to flow (its actually a vinyl)... The problem lies if there is any propane in tank when heated it will expand... At 400° the pressure blow off valve will release and any propane in tank will release ( remember there are gas burners or electric elements (at red heat) in oven) ... Yeah I know leave valve open to bleed off any propane before coating or during coating process.... Ok... Well...Umm.... IF powder coater will do it, "liability" is on his head.... I don't particularly want to be around shop when he does it.....

I would really clean it up and use something like Rust-O-Leum primer and then paint it a nice white or hammered silver (really like this color)....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Can a propane tank be powder coated?

Postby Mukilteo » Sat May 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks for the information. Rust-O-Leum it will be.
This tank is way out of sight and a bit difficult to access. They have to get down on their knees to hook it up. The guys that fill it hate it and I don't blame them.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets