water pump

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

water pump

Postby droid_ca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm looking for a fairly quiet water pump that can be run contiguously and wont burn out either a way to hack one to quieten it up or a way to run it off of solar or through a heat exchanger as warm water will be pumped through it as I'm thinking it might be a good way to get some radiant heat for a tiny house, Canada can get cold
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: water pump

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:37 pm

They make pumps just for this purpose:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-500 ... Id=3135231

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for the link Gus I'll check them out
That pump would work but I was hoping for something that would be 12 volts or mechanicly driven was thinking if a turbo charger of sorts would work; smoke and heat turn one set of blades and the second set pumps the water around...hmm might have to look further into that

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Not sure exactly what you have in mind but perhaps convection would work if you used big enough heat exchangers and pipes. Cheers, Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 pm

convection would work but it would have to build up a lot of heat on the one end before it starts to move and I was thinking that if I could have it at a reasonable temp and just pump it through

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:19 pm

I have used this pump for the last >15 years to pump hot water in my home brewery. It isn't quiet (but there are ways to mitigate that), but it works with hot water, runs on 12 VDC, and is reliable. In the brewery it runs continuously for a couple of hours at a time, with and without water flow. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Marine-Pump-1P811?Pid=search

When using a pump like this, be sure to throttle the flow on the outflow of the pump. Do not starve the pump, it will cavitate, become very noisy, and will burn out.

This pump isn't self-priming, so it has to be located below the supply tank, but that's not a big deal.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 am

I did a quick "12v hot water recirculating pump search" and came up with http://www.thesolar.biz/dc_hot_water_ci ... _pumps.htm and I think this is basically what you are looking for as a starting point. For real expertise in solar my suggestion is to check out http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php They have helped me with a couple of questions I had in setting up the solar in Compass Rose.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 am

thanks for the great links guys I'll be sure to look at them

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Jim Anders » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:42 am

If you dont mind reducing the volume of water pumped a bit you can put a resistor or two on the 12v power supply wire. This will quiet any 12v pump. I can't even tell if mine is running and it still pumps more than fast enough. A cheap and easy fix.
Jim Anders
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets