Camp Chef tankless propane H20 heater

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Camp Chef tankless propane H20 heater

Postby Willowagon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:09 am

Hi All,

I just picked up a Camp Chef HWDS tankless propane heater that I plan to integrate into my trailer's existing plumbing.

I know others on here have purchased similar types of water heaters, but how & where did you install it?

I'm planning on getting a 12"x18" piece of diamond-plate to bolt over my FRP siding to act as a heat shield, then attach the heater over the diamond plate, spaced out an inch or so from the sidewall. Then, punch 3 small holes into the side of the trailer right below the heater to run propane, cold in, hot out. I will tee off of the hot water output to provide for the external shower head and interior galley sink.

If anyone has any pics or tips on how they've installed theirs, please share!

Thanks,
-matt

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J4AU2E/?ta ... B001J4AU2E
Willowagon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Camp Chef tankless propane H20 heater

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm kinda "different" and hate hanging stuff permanently mounted on the sides of things. I even have been known to have "words" with Suzy over her punching innumerable holes in MY walls as she finds the "perfect" place to hang her "girl s#@t".

You might consider using some hoses with quick disconnects for the water and gas and a simple stand for the water heater so it can sit on the deck. Takes half a minute to hook up the heater, the heater isn't always out in the weather, and the aesthetic appeal of your trailer remains intact. You could just put a small box under the trailer to hold the water/gas hoses when not in use.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Willowagon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks for the advise! I will be installing it with quick disconnects so I can easily remove it, but I need to have it ready with zero setup time for my surfing trips. I have to leave the trailer unsupervised for a few hrs at a time, so I'd feel more comfortable having it bolted down but ready to use so all i have to do when i get out of that 55 degree water is turn on the H20 pump and hit the ignitor
Willowagon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets