Toilets

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Toilets

Postby Bogo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 am

On the Sealand stuff, I've gotten prices already.

This youtube video shows the vacuum generator/tank cassette system I wanted to use. It is the black square ended thing with the yellow rectangle on it at the side of the compartment. He talks about it a tiny bit at 1:20.

At a 1:55 into this video you can see the cassette being removed.

Looking at current literature I didn't see it mentioned in the 2013 brochure.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Dirke » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

bobhenry wrote:Mr. Stinky lived up to his name. Perhaps the portapotty treatment or some scented kitty litter would have helped but thats more to remember to pack and lug around.

Saw dust works great and if you use enough it won't have an odor. Just put a good amount of sawdust in the bottom of the bucket. After use, cover your business with more sawdust.
The scrounger
Dirke
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Dirke wrote:
bobhenry wrote:Mr. Stinky lived up to his name. Perhaps the portapotty treatment or some scented kitty litter would have helped but thats more to remember to pack and lug around.

Saw dust works great and if you use enough it won't have an odor. Just put a good amount of sawdust in the bottom of the bucket. After use, cover your business with more sawdust.

I tend to disagree saw dust doesn't work great ! It was last falls gathering and just a two night stay. We had taken a 7 gallon bucket of pine sawdust and despite the addition of copious amounts of dust after each use Mr. Stinkey still lived up to his name. My thoughts are that the wood fiber act as a wick for the urine and although it absorbs the liquid, it wicks it to the air via capilary action. The reason I mentioned the kitty litter is that it will encapsolate the liquid and if scented would be an added benefit.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 pm

one of the ideas that I have settled on for my Tiny house is to not have a toilette inside ,
Here is why if I'm camped in a place that has facilities then I'll use them and who wants to have a bucket of (poop) to be hauling around with them so I'll have my out house set up outside of the trailer cabin it will still be on the trailer essentially but on the backdeck
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:08 am

biziedizie wrote:
droid_ca wrote:
bobhenry wrote:Will that be a gravity flush or are you gonna use a grain auger to "pump" the dust.

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

Hahahaha I was thinking of a

Dung chucking is fun! Get the right angle, drink a few beers and it's an afternoon of entertaintment :lol:

Going to have to build one of these to take to the next kitcar show, for when the westfield boy barricade the toilet block and claim it as their own private facilities
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 am

Anita Rae wrote:We put a casset toilet in our camper and I have to say that I love it. I've only camped twice in the trailer but so far this is one of my favorite additions. On this last trip I took my GD along. She has balance problems from past brain surgery. Having the toilet gave me peace of mind because I didnt have to worry about her tripping on the way to the potty. As a woman traveling alone, it was easy for me to dump and fill. I can't say enough about this thang and yes, we do use it...Not #2...just pee.

How and where do you dispose it? Dumping in the vault is fine, but what abou places that only have standard toilets or waste dumps for RVs?

I hate running at night to shower houses etc, I've been considering a thetford for a while, but don't want to cause more stress by having a stinking mess to clean up..
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:51 am

I see your point slo, but there are a few places we stay (once twice a year)where for 4 or 5 days there isn't a head close by... No big deal during the day, but a 2am, it stinks having to walk a quarter mile in pitch darkness and old air to take a leak...or dump. Then the better choice may be a portable.

How well do these dump into an rv dump station? Is there any control of the effluent? The campground I have in mind as I write this is very nice and would frown in dumping in their VERY clean shower/restrooms.

Normally you are right....but there are exceptions, and times when zero tolerance isn't the best solution.

So, for the sake of conversation, how we'll do thetford cassettes dump? Can you reasonably hit by hole? I don't want to have a bigger mess than when I started... 10 seconds with a hose cleaning up a little splash isfine, just no s much chasing around...ahem....solids or paper...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:06 am

Gerry,

A portable toilet will dump just as easily in the 4" hole at a dump station as it will in a pit toilet.
Spills aren't usually a problem, at least from your own, it is the stuff some other RV'ers leave behind...

They can also be dumped in a regular flush toilet at the campground, but it is a practice that won't get you too many friends, as the odor can be rather strong, and even if it isn't, folks will give you some iffy looks...
Best if need be to do so late at night, when the washroom is empty, not when people are standing in line waiting... ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GerryS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:58 am

The problem of what is left behind by other campers is a problem is also the explanation why campgrounds look crossways when you carry a cartridge into their clean bath houses....

Most if the places we stay have both, but my favorite vacation getaway only has one bath house and it is far away from the better spots. I think a portable can is on my short list for this years additions....but it sounds like outdoor emptying is definitely the smart money....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets