Bbq

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Bbq

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am

We need a "Like" button! So many good ideas and suggestions and as always, Bob Henry just had to show us a delicious food photo! "Like"! ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:We need a "Like" button! So many good ideas and suggestions and as always, Bob Henry just had to show us a delicious food photo! "Like"! ;)

And four of us ate every bite of that meatloaf along with baked taters and spiced green beans.

Even found room for a dessert cobbler :roll:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Martiangod » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm

We bought a World Famous Butane stove from Canadian tire for under $30 for the trip out.
Little single burner, figured it would be easier for coffee and stuff then pulling out the coleman.
Piezo ignition worked everytime, we used it inside and out
Worked great, and safer indoors then propane.
Butane is safer then propane indoors, thats why they used it in boats rather then propane
Would definatley buy again

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 am

There are a couple pluses to butane that I have found. It most often has a self ignitor and as I occasionally forget the matches this is a big plus. Also it seems to burn hotter with a bit more control than my propane cooktop. It is, however, a bit more expensive to operate in my opinion. Maybe it is just that it take a couple cylinders per gathering while the 2# propane bottle survives a couple 2-3 day gatherings.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:34 am

Kinda like gas and diesel both will get ya there.....

Here is what I found.....

The physical properties of the two gases are very similar, and when regulated to the correct pressure, they will perform almost identically. However there are some important differences.

Of the two gases, Butane has the most advantages.

* It is less toxic and so can legally be used and stored indoors. Litre for litre, it contains around 12% more energy than Propane and so you can squeeze more running time into the same sized bottle. (Butane is heavier than Propane though, so weight for weight it's a pretty close call.)
* Butane also burns cleaner than Propane (although this isn't normally a serious issue in caravanning.)
* Finally, while it's not strictly a property of the gas, Butane canisters generally use clip-on type connections. These are far more convenient than the Propane screw type connections, especially if you swap bottles around regularly (as you might if you also use your caravan bottle to run a barbecue.)

Conversely, Propane has only one advantage over Butane - but it's a big one!

* In order to be usable, the liquid in the bottle must be able to boil into a gas. In the case of Butane, this will happen at any temperature above -2C, whereas with Propane, this figure is much lower, at -42C. In the real world, it's not so clear cut. Whenever some of the liquid boils into gas, the remaining liquid cools. It is therefore possible for the temperature of the liquid to drop to several degrees below ambient. This can easily prevent a Butane canister from producing a useful gas supply, even when the outside temperature is several degrees above 0C
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby hankaye » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Howdy All;

May I introduce ya'll to the 'Mini WSM'

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37044-My-Mini-WSM

Following along with the OP's post, the Weber Smoky Joes
are becoming extreamly utilitarian. I mod'ed one my self and have
smoked a 9.5# Boston Butt (aka pork shoulder roast [blade in]) in
it with zero problems. Took about 9 hours, and did NOT have to
baby-sit it the whole time. :twisted:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for sharing Hank those pictures look good nice bike to I like your grate tool remover smart thinking
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:18 pm

droid_ca, Howdy;

Didn't mean for ya'll to think that was mine. Just one of the
multitude of offerings that are on that forum. The Orig. Posted
forum was cut at 100 pages and a seperate forum started due to
their popularity.
Should ya get snowed in for a weekend it makes some interesting reading ... :roll:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby alby_c » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Love the little butane burners. As mentioned in an ideal world they burn as hot but with the small cannisters the flow rate can be lower than a stove top will pull from a gas cyclinder.

Here in Australia as well we get sold LPG -- liquified petroleim Gas - not Pure Propane.
this is a mix of Propane, propene, n-butane, and isobutane as main gases in it, and traces of a few others.
The propane, propene boils off faster than the butane usually and means the second half of the bottle burns slower and slightly cooler than the first half.
For cooking, it is not noticeable at all, but for years I did home Pottery and in a 16 cu ft pottery kiln the difference can mean getting a lovely pot, and getting clean fill - if you do not watch it like a hawk. i.e. if you are sucking the bottle hard you can get a nice layer of ice around the bottom of the bottle - and as noted before this can drop the liquid below where the butane will boil off, effectively turning the kiln off.
alby_c
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets